12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12 Things You Can Do When Your ZJ Stalls

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #181
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997
the method to test is on the last attachment of the post that gives the procedure to check the system. How is it driving?
Not good. Lol
Still hesitating jerking stalling and so on.
I'm testing the battery sensor tomorrow.

Went after the CPS today and it didn't do any of that until I gassed it hard on the freeway and happened again when I floored it to cut someone off. Lol
It was like it got flooded out cuz it smell terribly of unburned fuel.
So gonna double check my fuel pressure since I have done that in a few months.

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #182
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
Not good. Lol
Still hesitating jerking stalling and so on.
I'm testing the battery sensor tomorrow.

Went after the CPS today and it didn't do any of that until I gassed it hard on the freeway and happened again when I floored it to cut someone off. Lol
It was like it got flooded out cuz it smell terribly of unburned fuel.
So gonna double check my fuel pressure since I have done that in a few months.
what codes are you getting now?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #183
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Just the CPS when disconnected and P0351
Coil and everything on the ignition side is pretty new and within specs.

And sometimes a random misfire code.
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #184
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The codes and other symptoms doesn't sound like a weak charging system. clogged cat / restricted exhaust can cause the random misfires, especially under hard acceleration. the primary ignition code is either the PCM, coil, coil wire, or wiring. brand new coils can be bad. the coil connector is always suspect.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #185
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The codes and other symptoms doesn't sound like a weak charging system. clogged cat / restricted exhaust can cause the random misfires, especially under hard acceleration. the primary ignition code is either the PCM, coil, coil wire, or wiring. brand new coils can be bad. the coil connector is always suspect.
My cat and back is less than a month old and that didn't change anything.
I've used 2 different coils that tested good just incase. And I did back probe the pins and checked the voltage on the coil electrical connection a month or two ago and it checked out. I guess I could check again.
And I've used two different coil wires and same from both.
Should I use some dielectric grease or whatever on the pins that connect the could to the low voltage side?

So next up PCM right? Lol
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #186
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcarpenter View Post
So next up PCM right? Lol
Coil drivers do go bad.
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #187
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Coil drivers do go bad.
I'm just gonna go for it. Local auto parts warehouse has A-1 Cardone for 150 after core in stock. Exact same one as autozone. And I don't have to wait or pay for shipping plus it has the year warranty as well.

Wish me luck haha
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #188
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Well quick update.
New PCM in.
Running great.
No stalling for ~20 miles.
Too soon to tell if it's solved or not. But...

My voltage is sitting at 13.85 idling and 14 on the dot when charging the battery. Up from ~13.5.
Misfire seems to be gone.

And I got around to Ohm testing my battery temp sensor and it was at 12.90k and it's only supposed to be at 9-11k. So I believe I will be changing that soon as well.

Will update more soon.

Thanks Zeejay and Oldfrog
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #189
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Don't break out the champagne and party hats until the PCM has gone through 3 full warm up - cool down cycles.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #190
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Don't break out the champagne and party hats until the PCM has gone through 3 full warm up - cool down cycles.
Yeah I know I've done 2 already. Figure if I have a good ride home I'll be at ease a bit but I won't be completely relaxed for at least a week
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #191
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Figure I'd give an update...

Still running great.. No problems whatsoever.

Put about ~200 miles on it the last week so I'm getting really comfortable with it.

Thanks again for your help.
Hopefully with all these new sensors and crap that this PCM will stay with me for the long haul.
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #192
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

bump for my 5000th post on JF
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #193
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Congrats my friend! Eventually it will be "hey sonny hit the reply button for me will ya?"
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #194
jkruvi

Did anyone complain to the NHTSA or filed a complaint on www.safercar.gov ??? I called yesterday the hotline and the lady who responded from NHTSA told me she herself had the same problem with her Grand Cherokee on the freeway. She fricked out and sold the car. I am surprised that with so many issues of stalling this wasn't resported yet. I recommend many do on this forum and it will wake someone up before there is a major crash and injuries.
jkruvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #195
pattihayes
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have been having this stalling problem for a couple of years now with my 1997 jgc 4.0 and have tried some of the things on this list and the ones I can't do because of lack of skill, knowledge or tools, I have had my mechanic do them. (check grounds, clean throttle body, checked and tested relays, fuses etc..) Like everyone else I have had sensors changed multiple times, new battery, three PCM's and on and on to the point that my mechanic, which by the way has worked on my jeep since I got it in 2007 and is a highly recommended fella that will not lie and cheat you, has actually said... "I hate your jeep"! Every time something new gets done, it runs great for a week or two or three or four even but then the problem comes back with new little twist that was not like the time before. I have over 208,000 miles on it. When it runs, it runs great. I have a tiny oil leak but on a jeep that old with that many miles, its no surprise. As of right now, I am in the cycle of no start or stalling at any idle or any speed, coasting off to the shoulder, putting it neutral and trying to coast start it and sometimes it does start back up or while I am coasting in neutral if I hit the gas, it revs back up sometimes and gets going again or if it dies completely, I pop the hood, unplug all the connectors to the PCM, wait a minute or two depending on whether or not I am on a dangerous shoulder, blocking traffic, or it's night time in a bad area, plug them back up and it starts right back up and I am back on the road for a few days to a week or so with no problem. I tried the zip ties, but in a stall situation on the shoulder, its not easy to get them off. I have cut them with my utility knife I keep with me and instead of replacing them I use a bungee cord pulled tight at the bottom of the connectors. Seems to work pretty good for a quick fix and its easy to get it off and on in a pinch. It's my assumption and I may be wrong, but since those connectors seem weighted downward by the wiring because of their positioning on the PCM that if a bungee cord placed in a position to hold them up so to speak, it might keep the connectors from sagging during bumps and vibration. My CEL never comes on, and when I take it to an auto parts place for random code check it comes up with the dreaded PO351 - Ignition coil primary circuit-coil number 1. Ignition coil primary circuit is monitored for errors. Probable cause: Ignition coil defective, secondary ignition-plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Poor electrical connection or circuit fault. Driver circuit fault-ignition module or PCM. I have been told to park it, junk it, sell it, trade it. But I am bound and determined to keep it. I got the jeep for trade. It was a surveying vehicle and when the surveyor was ready to get rid of it, he asked if I wanted it for 1000.00. I was already cutting his hair as I am a cosmetologist and I told him I would take it instead of him paying me for hair cuts. So that's what we did. I cut his hair 1000.00 dollars worth and I got the jeep. Which by the way was dealer serviced with records and had not started having the stalling issues until about two years ago. So far I have only told my mechanic which tests to run, what sensors to change if there was no code, or what to check for, clean, bang, kick, using your list. I am going to print it out and give it to him because there has been at least one other Jeep that he works on with similar issues. Side note.... when I tell a mechanic that I have been reading forums and doing research on the jeep, they kinda get this look like it makes them uncomfortable. And some of the things that I suggest, even though they go ahead and do what I want them to do, they look at me like I am nuts. I even know a rocket scientist that makes computers for air craft, planes, rockets etc... for the government and when I tell him some of the stuff that this jeep has responded to.. he says "no way". One funny thing the jeep does is when I lock it with the power lock pog, sometimes the horn that beeps indicating that it is indeed locked, is weak. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that about their jeeps. My old battery that was still under warranty so I got a new one for core charge only had an intermittent drain. Sometimes it was fully charged after sitting all night or day or days and sometimes it would be at only 60%. I have never had the crazy dash issues. And every once in a while if I accidentally hit my panic button when the security horn is blaring it is weak. I have read this thread along with the threads connected to the connected threads connected to this thread and so on. My head spins and I want to just start over but I can't do that without spending serious cash. So I thought if I gave my jeep's voodoo antics it might ring a bell in the direction I should go from here. The last sensor I had changed twice was the cps, once with and bumper to bumper one and then went to the dealer and got the MOPAR one and it ran great for weeks. The first sensor I changed was the TPS but its not been a year. So do I start with the TPS and go from there? Or do I just get ANOTHER "new" PCM and hope its a good one that will last for awhile?? Thanks!
pattihayes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bucking , check engine light , hesitation , no start , stall issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.