12+ for power seat q's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 12+ for power seat q's

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

12+ for power seat q's

So im thinking about just running a dedicated power wire to the battery for my seats then I got to thinking my amp is already wired to the battery and its pretty much in the vicinity of the drivers seat and its fused with a 15 amp? I think anyways. Now for the question my and power wire is 4ga my seat wires are 12ga( just a guess) is there a way to steal power from my amp wire being the different sizes? Or should I just run a new wire its just a PITA to go through the grommet in the firewall.

Unread 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

have you checked to see if there is factory wiring under the carpet for the seats? it may already be wired from the junction block.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I didnt see it when I had the carpet out. AFAIK the wires are in the fuse block but the connections are not under the seat.
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the later models have 20 amp circuit breaker for each seat on 14 ga wire. if you had a diagram of your YM junction block, its possible that you could add the correct safety devices and wiring.
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

The thing is I have a wiring harness from a 93, almost the entire thing I was just thinking it would be pita to add all the complete factory wiring for the seats.
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

That harness probably has the memory and heat wiring. you could strip all that out and just use the 12v to the seat module. You have to run wires anyway.

if you run straight from the battery, be sure to use the correct size fuse or breaker for that particular year model seat on a dedicated circuit.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

No memory or heat its a 93 limited. It seems to be a red wire that goes to the front grey conection by the steering column. I haven't traced anything from there.
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I know I could look this up but is the fuse 30 amp? what gauge wire should i go with 12-14ga?
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Got it all hooked up. I noticed it sits way higher with the limited leather on manual rails even more so with the power frames.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
zjgil
1998 ZJ 

So how did you end up doing it, xcaliber? I have limited power seats that I want to hook up in my Laredo and I've been trying to find out which route to go.
zjgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I bought 25' of yellow 12ga wire (yellow because every time I do a stereo yellow is 12+) some ringed connections a fuse-able link and 30a fuses. I ran the yellow wire from the battery back towards the coolant reservior and across the engine and through the grommet on the drivers side and cut way more than enough wire to reach the drivers side seat. I had all the factory plugs that went to the seat and snipped more than enough of the passenger harness to reach over to the drivers seat I took advantage of the factory ground point under the drivers seat. From there I hooked up the battery wire to the red wire, the fuseable link went to the battery side and i hooked the yellow wire up from there. Cost me 18$ lol. Both power seats now work as it was from factory now.

It was super easy to do and took about 2 hrs but I was not in a rush hardest part was pushing the wire through the grommet.

Its not very safe tapping into wires especially when that tapped into circuit was only supposed to handle so much current and I feel much better about going to the battery, and every other vehicle I have been in the power seats had power when the key is off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.