110V block heater on 230V? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 110V block heater on 230V?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-13-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Berti
1996 ZJ 

110V block heater on 230V?

Hello,
I'm thinking about to start using the factory block heater, but because I live in Europe, only 230V is avilabe from the nework. Will the heater survive the higher voltage, as the excess heat will be dissipated by the coolant, or should I forget it to use it without the right transformator?
Thanks in advance!

Berti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

I would think not and will pretty quick about letting you know. Not a matter of dissipating heat, element will just fry. Same concept as trying to use a 110v household water heater in a 230 volt application, won't last long.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
shaban
1996 ZJ 

You can also use some powerful diode to halve 220 volts, if you know what you are doing.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Just a lot easier/cheaper/safer to go have a 220V one installed. Since there's already one there, it quite simply is a matter of undoing one bolt, pulling the old heater, inserting new heater and tightening a bolt.

The hardest part is routing the power cord.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Since there's already one there, it quite simply is a matter of undoing one bolt, pulling the old heater, inserting new heater and tightening a bolt.
I could have sworn there was a step in there that involved draining your coolant, though I suppose that as soon as you remove the heater it'll do that for you.
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Just use a transformer builders use on site, they are cheap to buy. I use one on my 9er sometimes. Check this out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-24...item27dd0989de

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

A voltage divider is built by using resistors.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking about to start using the factory block heater, but because I live in Europe, only 230V is avilabe from the nework. Will the heater survive the higher voltage, as the excess heat will be dissipated by the coolant, or should I forget it to use it without the right transformator?
Thanks in advance!
Are you sure it is a 110V block heater? Unless the Jeep was imported from USA/ Canada, I'm pretty sure it has a 220/230V heater unit installed in it. All the Jeeps I've seen here with block heaters are 220/230V version.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Are you sure it is a 110V block heater? Unless the Jeep was imported from USA/ Canada, I'm pretty sure it has a 220/230V heater unit installed in it. All the Jeeps I've seen here with block heaters are 220/230V version.
x2 unless the part (or the entire vehicle) was imported from the US/Canadian areas, chances are, it's 230v rated. I have to ask, how is it you believe it's 120v?

And to answer your question.. The extra voltage will burn up the unit, hopefully in a matter of seconds as to avoid possibly causing a fire. Your options are: 1- obtain a power converter, drop it from 230v down to 120v. 2- replace the unit to operate on your native power grids. 3- Plug it in as is and destroy at least the block heater.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.