109 degrees on the side of the road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 109 degrees on the side of the road

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

109 degrees on the side of the road

Ok guys so heres another overheating thread.

So the heep started to squirt some water out at the gas station. It was coming out somewhere near the top radiator hose i just put on last week(not on there far enough? or maybe it was coming out of somewhere else near there.) so I opened up the radiator to add some water thinking it would need it. Well that only caused more of my precious fluids to evacuate my jeep. I was hoping I could make it home but it started to overheated cause I let all the damn water out. So I pulled over and now here I am laying under my jeep waiting for the tow truck. 109 degrees out and about 2 out of 4 ounces of water left lol.
Anyways ill be continuing this thread later when I get to work on it but till then do you guys have any advice on where to start my cooling system service?
Also it seems something near the reservoir sprayed water every where but I can't find a crack in the reservoir or any hoses near it
Thanks for any advice

Attachment 1

This is my attempt to hide from the heat lol

image-4125822074.jpg

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Let me clarify a little more. One if the spots it was coming out of was the top radiator hose on the engine end of the hose not the radiator end. Oh ya and it's moving day for me also so this couldn't have come at a better time. And Im supposed to pick up my paycheck in 20 mins too. How awesome
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

I have a coolant leak in my ZJ as well. The coolant res was cracked so I JB-Welded that shut and there's also some leaking on the bottom radiator hose (check this) which I need to replace. You might also want to do a coolant flush. I am going to do one when I get around to the bottom radiator hose. Check in your coolant res and look into the radiator for some clay like stuff. It's from mixing the OG Mopar coolant and the cheap green we get at Autozone. This happened in my Jeep. The mixing of the different types of coolant will cause it to coagulate and it will gunk up your whole system...which is the boat I'm in. I will probably end up replacing all the hoses. It was 106 today and this is definitely something on the top of my list since I live in AZ and my Jeep is my DD.

I hope this helped somewhat or gave you a place to start...if not it probably added to the ever-growing list of problems that comes with ZJ ownership!
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoxxah View Post
I have a coolant leak in my ZJ as well. The coolant res was cracked so I JB-Welded that shut and there's also some leaking on the bottom radiator hose (check this) which I need to replace. You might also want to do a coolant flush. I am going to do one when I get around to the bottom radiator hose. Check in your coolant res and look into the radiator for some clay like stuff. It's from mixing the OG Mopar coolant and the cheap green we get at Autozone. This happened in my Jeep. The mixing of the different types of coolant will cause it to coagulate and it will gunk up your whole system...which is the boat I'm in. I will probably end up replacing all the hoses. It was 106 today and this is definitely something on the top of my list since I live in AZ and my Jeep is my DD.

I hope this helped somewhat or gave you a place to start...if not it probably added to the ever-growing list of problems that comes with ZJ ownership!
I have to agree to his. You might want to pull the upper hose and see how much gunk is inside.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

Awesome thanks for the tips guys, I can search the forums a thousand times but I never know where to start!
Tow truck came and got me and took me home so ill be working on it some time tomorrow most likely. Too busy moving today.

Maybe I can get some pics up to help diagnose my probs
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

Never never never remove the rad cap from a hot rad you could have burned yourself with 220+F antifreeze. You might just need a new clamp on the upper rad hose. Be careful and try tostay cool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.