Alright WOW...thats bada$$....I havea black 04 with a black Brush guard and i think mine would look legit with that. Can you post some more pictures of it on your car? Also...howd you do it and how long did it take
Thanks. It was about a day long project. I don't have any installed pics. I'm waiting to finish retrofitting my headlights and install them before i take pics. For the mess i just used metal gutter guard from Home Depot.
1) take off grill
2) disassemble the 3 parts (outter, inner and verticle slat section)
3) cut out 7 pieces of gutter guard to fit behind openings but cut them so there is enough overhang to glue them down. Tin snips made it a quick job.
4) bend each piece to fit the curve of the grill, then bend the edges down over the lip behind the grill. Make it as snug as possible
5) wetsand the inner section using around 400 grit. also sand the lips behind the grill with something coarse, to give the glue something to stick to.
6) wash WELL (to degrease and make sure all wax is removed)
7a) Prime and paint grill. The paint I used was Dupli-Color Bumper Coating and the "primer" I used was Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter. The bumper coating stuff recommended the adhesion promoter. I hope this stuff holds up...
7b) prime and paint mesh. I used Duplicolor self etching primer. Same black paint as above. Just make sure you do all the bending of the mesh BEFORE you paint.
8) once dry/cured, assemble outter and inner grill then hot glue mesh in place. You can also use some epoxy if you're worried about the hot glue failing.
looks good....i want a grill like that for my '00 limited painted to match my shale green with the black in the middle...only thing is my grill is attched to my bumper so there would be some cutting involved....i love limited but im not into chrome stuff....also i want the black headlights insted of chrome.
I was thinking about painting the "skid plate"/brush guard thing but i'm not sure. In the summer I use wheels that are gunmetal with a polished lip, so the chrome brush guard would go well with the lips.
and about the headlights, they are black except for the turnsignal area, not for long though. i'm almost done with a HID and LED retrofit. Instead of 3 incandescent bulbs for the turnsignals, i'm using ~70 amber Superflux LEDs. To go along with the semi blacked out look, I painted the PCB black before I soldered the LEDs on it which will really black out the headlights.