'04 Grill: painted center part black w/black mesh ~ PIC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '04 Grill: painted center part black w/black mesh ~ PIC

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
JCDubya
2009 WK 

'04 Grill: painted center part black w/black mesh ~ PIC

Just finished it up.

JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
SouthernboyWJ
2004 WJ 

Alright WOW...thats bada$$....I havea black 04 with a black Brush guard and i think mine would look legit with that. Can you post some more pictures of it on your car? Also...howd you do it and how long did it take
SouthernboyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Thanks. It was about a day long project. I don't have any installed pics. I'm waiting to finish retrofitting my headlights and install them before i take pics. For the mess i just used metal gutter guard from Home Depot.

Process
1) take off grill
2) disassemble the 3 parts (outter, inner and verticle slat section)
3) cut out 7 pieces of gutter guard to fit behind openings but cut them so there is enough overhang to glue them down. Tin snips made it a quick job.
4) bend each piece to fit the curve of the grill, then bend the edges down over the lip behind the grill. Make it as snug as possible
5) wetsand the inner section using around 400 grit. also sand the lips behind the grill with something coarse, to give the glue something to stick to.
6) wash WELL (to degrease and make sure all wax is removed)
7a) Prime and paint grill. The paint I used was Dupli-Color Bumper Coating and the "primer" I used was Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter. The bumper coating stuff recommended the adhesion promoter. I hope this stuff holds up...
7b) prime and paint mesh. I used Duplicolor self etching primer. Same black paint as above. Just make sure you do all the bending of the mesh BEFORE you paint.
8) once dry/cured, assemble outter and inner grill then hot glue mesh in place. You can also use some epoxy if you're worried about the hot glue failing.

Last edited by JCDubya; 01-07-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Unread 01-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I do really like that look... I want to go 04 grill for my dub... I would do the center black like the fosho...
Unread 01-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
rogue6

Really nice job! I was looking to paint the chrome grille black on my ZJ. I wasn't sure how to go about it though, so thanks much for the steps.
rogue6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
IronManVa
SandSurfer

nice look
www.jeeporvis.com ... www.jeepartist.com ... www.kmaoffroad.org Virginia Beach ... www.obxbreakers.comOff season Jeeper Deals
IronManVa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
97zjjeeper
1997 ZJ 

very nice!

BLACK 97 ZJ 4.0L-42re-242-DANA 30/35 (3.73)
MODS) 2in lift-30x9.5x15 BFG A/T-15x8 Pacer Wheels-K&N Intake-1in TB Spacer-40Series Flowmaster-Hi-Flow Cat-JKS Trackbar-Sliderz-BDS adj CA-BDS SS-Cobra19 ULTRA III-FireStick4FT-PA Horn-Hella500 DL-Roof Rack-TC Skid-Gastank Skid
97zjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
Wiley

That looks slick! Now stick it on and post some pics!

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 • 4" lift • 31s • JKS f & r track bars • JKS discos • Cragar Soft 8s • DT 3000s • OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in • Dynomax Exhaust • Hella 500s • Westin Safari Bar • KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Sorry it took so long, it's been covered in snow like every day. I'll get some good pics eventually. Until then...

Unread 02-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
erocksnow

looks good....i want a grill like that for my '00 limited painted to match my shale green with the black in the middle...only thing is my grill is attched to my bumper so there would be some cutting involved....i love limited but im not into chrome stuff....also i want the black headlights insted of chrome.
erocksnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

You can probably make some money trading your black headlights for chrome ones. More people switch to the chrome version.
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #12
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

looks good, but i would also paint lower silver fascia, it looks a little off

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
kirsch98gc6
1998 ZJ 

I agree with ras2001wj it looks awesome but now you have to paint the lower facia to match. It would look totally bad***

98 ZJ 4.0 8inch LA, 36 inch Iroks, Ected Lockd-Alloy USA chromo'd HP30, Aussie Lockd-Crown chromo'd-trussed D35, other goodies
kirsch98gc6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Get some black tow hooks, paint the lower front bumper area, and get some black headlights and your Jeep would look awesome in the black out look.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
JCDubya
2009 WK 

I was thinking about painting the "skid plate"/brush guard thing but i'm not sure. In the summer I use wheels that are gunmetal with a polished lip, so the chrome brush guard would go well with the lips.

and about the headlights, they are black except for the turnsignal area, not for long though. i'm almost done with a HID and LED retrofit. Instead of 3 incandescent bulbs for the turnsignals, i'm using ~70 amber Superflux LEDs. To go along with the semi blacked out look, I painted the PCB black before I soldered the LEDs on it which will really black out the headlights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.