04 Grand Cherokee - high idle, won't come down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 04 Grand Cherokee - high idle, won't come down

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
04cherokee

04 Grand Cherokee - high idle, won't come down

Hi,

Just did a 30k service on my '04 but have a problem. I changed all 8 plugs along with oil, filters. While I had the black plastic intake off, I sprayed some throttle body cleaner on the intake and cleaned it up a bit. Started it up but the idle won't come down below 1,200 RPMS (it's fully warmed up). The CEL came on and the code/error was intermittent misfire, cyl #7. I reconnected the coil pack wire, turned off the light and it hasn't come back on. Seems like it's idling smooth but way too high. Any ideas what this might be ? I've looked around to make sure everything is hooked up and the throttle isn't stuck. I don't think this is related but I broke the vac line connection which goes into the oil fill/funnel piece. I used epoxy to fix it for now (or maybe permanent) and it seems fine. Any ideas appreciated !

Bob

04cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
04cherokee

bump - does anyone know ? I'm stumped...

thanks for any/all help....
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

You probably have a vacuum leak where you took the intake off....can I ask why you took it off?
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
04cherokee

thanks for thr reply....

I think I used the wrong term when I said "manifold", what I meant was the plastic resonator which you have to take off to access the throttle body. I just took it for about a 5 mile drive and tried some WOT's to try and get it to reset.
No good, it won't idle at less than 1,800 RPM's. I have no CEL on. I removed the IAC and cleaned the plunger but that didn't help. If I unplug the IAC connector while it's running there's no change in the idle - is that normal or do I have a bad one ? If I do the same with the TPS, the idle changes so I think the TPS is good.
Aside from the idle, it's running great - good acceleration, smooth. I looked around for a vac line but the only one I disconnected was the big one on the drivers side of the resonator. I don't see any others disconnected. Is my IAC disconnect test a good one ? Could it have been damaged when I sprayed throttle body cleaner on the butterfly yestersday ?

thanks,
Bob
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #5
04cherokee

Brandon, if you have a few minutes and can call me...

I'm happy to pay for your time. I'm at 203-931-7513 (CT). Thanks !

Bob
Unread 05-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
04cherokee

Wierd coincidence or possible heads up

First, thanks to Brandon for trying to get a hold of me - much appreciated. Turns out the IAC was bad. It idled fine before I sprayed the throttle body so just a heads up if this happens to you. Maybe it was marginal and the cleaning put it over the edge, I don't know. New IAC and all is well...

Bob
Unread 05-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Very odd isn't it??? That would have been my suggestion to check if there were no vacuum leaks. Wouldn't have thought that would have been the problem being fairly new. We clean t-bodies all the time and have never run into that.

Such as life, huh?

Good day!
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.