03 GC Overland Leaking Power Steering - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 03 GC Overland Leaking Power Steering

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

The nightmare continues... I got the new hose and the dealership told me to make sure I "take the original adaptor off first" and printed me out some instructions on the change over. It went on to say that I had to remove what I interpretted to be the threaded piece on the pump (between the hose and the pump since it was the only thing TO be removed) before I could install the new part. This was VERY hard to get to so I figured I'd take the top radiator hose off and just pop off the pulley. I had the right Allen Key and braced the pulley against the block with the handle of a socket wrench through the pump bolt access holes and...well.. found out the hard way that this particular pulley is made of Nylon as opposed to steel. Dooh! Time for Plan B: Take the power steering pump out. Done.

Now I'm at the point where I need to connect the new hose and in spite of the instructions from the dealership, I'm not confident that I was ever supposed to remove that original threaded piece as the part described in the instruction sheet is called a "Quick Connect Fitting". I just don't see a threaded body being called a quick connect and though this new hose screws right in to that old "adaptor", I just can't get it started in the power steering pump. I have the pump out (which could use a new pulley at this point anyway) so I guess I'll just take it to the dealership in the morning and MAKE SURE I've got it right before installing. At $80.00 I'd hate to damage it to the degree that I need to buy yet another one. I have pictures of all of this doo doo so if anyone is interested, E-mail me.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by SDT03GCOverland; 05-29-2009 at 06:57 PM..
SDT03GCOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

UPDATE: I was right, the dealership was wrong. It was a direct replacement part even though the instructions said otherwise. There was no need to remove what I did. (The parts counter did not realize that the 03 Overland has the 4.7 H.O. and he never asked once I gave the year and model).
The new hose is in and all is well. In regards to the pulley, since I was simply trying to do what the dealership told me I needed to do, they not only gave me the replacement pulley for free, but they also took it to the service center and removed the old one and pressed on the new one.
SDT03GCOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

sorry to bring up and old thread but this is my nightmare now.....i thought i needed a new ps pump bought one, put it in....still leaked then i notice it is the fitting, so i got to auto parts stores and try to buy the parts i need....low and behold none of them have it. now i have 200 bucks into this goddarn thing and still have to put another 100 in......i had a ps pump go in my 98 GC......guess ps pumps arent jeeps thing.....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....so angry i was so distracted i missed 2 exits on the highway back home.......

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

If anyone needs this part, i just bought one from http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/ for just under 70 bucks shipping in all.

Still very frustrated...lol

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.