03 GC Overland Leaking Power Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 03 GC Overland Leaking Power Steering

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

03 GC Overland Leaking Power Steering

Something on my Jeep's power steering system went out yesterday. Lots of fluid under the Jeep. I drove vehicle #2 to work today but I'll tear into this after work tonight. The fluid is pretty much everywhere underneath and all around the power steering pump so I can't tell where the leak is until I clean it off. I'm just wondering if there's a good starting place to look. Yeah.. hose couplings and whatnot, for sure, but being a member of this site, I was hoping some of you might have prior experience with a "Yeah x amount of people with that make and model have run into THIS..." type of answer.

Thanks in advance.
S.

SDT03GCOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

My father's 02 overland blew its powersteering pump last summer. Ended up replacing it because of the seals on the back of pump blew... I think.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The high pressure power steering hose is a very common failure.

Its #8 in the picture below. Part # is 5019708AD.

radiator-related-parts-4.7l.jpg
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The high pressure power steering hose is a very common failure.

Its #8 in the picture below. Part # is 5019708AD.

Attachment 74946

Now that you said that, i believe we replace/fixed leaking lines as well.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
adamcorey
2004 WJ 

# 8 . that is correct.
2004 WJ. Limited. 4.7 H.0. fully loaded 255/75-17 BF Goodrich mud Terrains. K&N intake. Flowmaster dual side exit exhaust. Clarion door speakers with 12" pioneer sub. Rear flip down DVD with surround sound. 2.5 inch Rustys coils installed with 2 inch BB in the box waiting on extended sway bar links. Addco rear sway bar. Uniden CB. Viper 2 way alarm w/ dei start. It holds 5 guys with hunting and fishing gear and tows a 24 ft. Bass Tracker all at the same time.
1995 ZJ laredo 4.0 235/75-15 BF Goodrich all-terrains. K&N FIPK. Dynomax cat back. pioneer deck w/ 12'' bazooka sub(not the tube). rear integrated fog lights for night time surf fishing. roof and front bumper mounted rod holders. replaced--stock springs and shocks, alternator, starter, crankcase sensor, fuel filter, pads and rotors, front u-joints, thermostat, radiator hoses. tranny went so i traded it for the big boy above.
adamcorey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the tips. I got hung up at work and did not have time to investigate tonight. I'll update later.

Thanks again.
S.
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
adamcorey
2004 WJ 

if it is # 8 please update where you find it and how much. i need one also.
2004 WJ. Limited. 4.7 H.0. fully loaded 255/75-17 BF Goodrich mud Terrains. K&N intake. Flowmaster dual side exit exhaust. Clarion door speakers with 12" pioneer sub. Rear flip down DVD with surround sound. 2.5 inch Rustys coils installed with 2 inch BB in the box waiting on extended sway bar links. Addco rear sway bar. Uniden CB. Viper 2 way alarm w/ dei start. It holds 5 guys with hunting and fishing gear and tows a 24 ft. Bass Tracker all at the same time.
1995 ZJ laredo 4.0 235/75-15 BF Goodrich all-terrains. K&N FIPK. Dynomax cat back. pioneer deck w/ 12'' bazooka sub(not the tube). rear integrated fog lights for night time surf fishing. roof and front bumper mounted rod holders. replaced--stock springs and shocks, alternator, starter, crankcase sensor, fuel filter, pads and rotors, front u-joints, thermostat, radiator hoses. tranny went so i traded it for the big boy above.
adamcorey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its a dealer only part.

List price is $80.65.

You should be able to buy it for about $60 after discounts.
Unread 05-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Diehard

2004 WJ 

Go to the vendor section here and give Avondale parts a request for a price. He isn't always the cheapest, but the other dealers may charge more for shipping and a handling charge. (Moparonlineparts: $53 for hose, but $12 for shipping and $5 handling charge and tax of course).
If it is that hose that is leaking the new one will have fitttings that look different, but it is the correct one. A little advice, attach top fitting first.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

OK... Finally got around to it. I sprayed all the gunk off with brake cleaner and blew it off using the compressor. I filled it with fluid and ran it cycling the stering wheel from lock to lock for under a minute. At the connection to the pump, on the hose-pump connection (#8 as pictured above) was clearly leaking. Although the nut is too tight to tighten any more, the section of pipe that comes out of the nut wiggles like a loose tooth. I don't understand, mechanically, what possibly went wrong here. I think I'll buy an open-end wrench that will fit on that better (such limited room to work) and see if I can't just snug it down a little. I just can't see how this can be leaking unless it somehow backed off a little and loosened up. At $80 (as suggested above) I'm not giving up just yet.

Stay tuned...
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
JForest2
2004 WJ 

It could be the fitting got worn out on the end of the hose.. I would replace that line anyway

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
cherojeep
2004 WJ 

seems like mine is leaking by the #8 line where it goes into the pump. i washed it down and is wet around there. i think i made it worse the last time i was offroad cause now i got more of a drip and pump makes noise
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ya'll might as well give in and buy the hose from the dealer.

Those are tell-tale signs of the hose failing.

Its a problematic design. Jeep realized this and revised the part. The new part you buy will be slightly different.
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
MeWJWifeZJ
1996 ZJ 

On my 2000 Limited, the actual steering gear let the pitman shaft seal go and dumped it's fluid all over my driveway.

Traded away the WJ to get a commuter

We finally got another Jeep after 5 years without. Too bad it's ALL stock.
MeWJWifeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Johannmn
2001 WJ 

I have an '01 WJ Limited with the same problem. How hard is it to replace this hose? Also I have read on the web that only dealer power steering fluid can be used due to a specific formulation. Is this true?
Johannmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.