02 Jeep Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
vvranup

02 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hell All,
I have a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee and i recently got a check engine light on the dashboard, i got to Autozone and they gave me a code of P0442.
which says

Definition:
EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) small leak/no flow condition
Explanation:
The evaporative emission system is monitored.
Probable causes:
1. - Defective or loose fuel cap
2. - EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
4. Vacuum leak at engine

My jeep has got more than a 100,000 miles on it.

Please suggest if replacing the fuel cap will rectify this situation.

Also can someone suggest me of the best place to get my Jeep serviced at a nominal cost. I live in St Louis.

Thanks to one and all.

vvranup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
02WJOverland
2008 XK Commander 

Gas Cap...I have had to replace mine twice in the last 6 years.

"I am buying a new Jeep, just one piece at a time"
02WJOverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

.. or, jiggle the center hole in the inside of the cap to re-seat the vent rubber with a ball point pen or small punch. .(or, in the case of my wife, with the weak wrist...actually screw the cap down till it clicks a few times)
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.