01 WJ sticking in 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 WJ sticking in 4WD

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
bratcop

01 WJ sticking in 4WD

01 WJ with the TC that allows full time 4wd,part time 4wd, 2wd,and 4lo. We drive it often in fulltime 4wd as the road conditions here vary. It gets stuck in 4part time when shifted from 4full to 2wd. As you know the tc selector goes 2wd to 4wd part to 4wd full to N to 4wd lo. It is obviously changing part of the way when shifted from 4wd full to 2wd, but not all the way and sticking in 4wd part, causing binding on turning and backing (not ok on dry pavement) I am wondering if there is any adjustablility in this cable/linkage? I have tried backing up, shifting through all the gears, shifting while in neutral, everything...I usually get it out of 4wd, but not sure what does it as I am trying everything at the same time....: ) All tires are new and the same size. I have not changed the fluid in the tc, or checked it since the Stroker Build. Anyway...any ideas would be great. It is a 4.5L stroker Jeep Strokers • Bratcop's Stroker Build that I built and I love the motor, and want to keep it forever I just need to get some bugs worked out...but I digress...any help would be very appreciated. I will do a fluid change, but what is best fluid for TC?

Bratcop

bratcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
bratcop

seriously, no one has any ideas?
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I recently asked the same questions and I also got no reply. Mine will often go back to 2wd when I drive in reverse for a couple of feet. Trying trouble shoot, I just got the transfer case fluid and tranny fluid changed. I also got new tires (just cuz it was time), so if any of the above make the situation better then I wil let u know.

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

the shift forks in the TC are simply spring loaded. you push the shift lever only pushes springs, the springs do the work of making the switch, so it is indirect. If the TC is worn or under pressure from tire size differences, then it will stick. I also wonder if due to staying in 2WD most of the time if this makes shifting worse due to wear ridges etc.... I found driving around backwards, forwards, turning tight circles, shift in forward-reverse helps.

I was thinking on a teardown, I might want to replace a spring with a pipe and force it to go from 4WD to 2WD. I would leave the spring for 2WD to 4WD. If I ever get into it, I will definitely try to figure that out.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

I have 4 different tires on my truck and it does the same thing. Check your tire pressure and four new tires will prolly fix it. Mine does the same thing. I just go in reverse and it will pop into gear. I also can get it to go when im going about 3 mph and put the tranny in neutral then try changing the TC to what you want.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

I've been having the same problem lately. It takes me like 10 stressful minutes trying everything possible to get it out of 4wd. I have been spraying wd40 on the linkage for a couple days now. Seems to be helping.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Okay here is the scoop. I just picked up my WJ with new tranny fluid and filter, changed the fluid in the differential and four new tires. I used to have to drive in reverse to get it out of 4wd and even then sometimes it was a little tough.

Today my 4wd is switching much better. It is still not perfect but it switches 90% of the time now. The other 10% of the time I just selected the tranny to nuetral and I could hear it click into 2wd.

You could do the tranny fluid and filter for $50 and the transfer case for another $20. I didn't do it myself because my I didn't have time. But at least now you can try that out on yours too. Hopefully it is still in good shape mechaniclly.

X

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Tranny fluid wont change a thing. Its not the tranny. Its because (if you tires are different sizes) the tires are making the front differential a different speed than the rear diff. and the gears in the transfer case need to be all moving the exact same speed. So New tires and correct tire pressure should fix it. mine does the same thing. Im saving up for 32's so no point in getting new tires.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
bratcop

I have four new tires and I thought the old tires were the problem. They don't seem to solve the problem. Has anyone ever replaced the springs inside? I am not at all opposed to rebuilding the TC, bearings and the like, if necessary...looks like weekend job at best. I once rebuilt a T-18 on an old CJ I had, I think I should be able to handle this one. I don't want to do it if it isn't going to solve the problem, however. Jeep Drive Train has 110000 miles, rebuilt stroker about 20000. Thanks for the ideas. I have done all the shifting, reversing, steering, etc that I can, but mostly my fear is that my wife, who almost exclusively drives it, will drive it home in PT 4wd on dry pavement and create a new expense in our lives...she can't seem to tell when it isi in PT 4WD....
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
I've been having the same problem lately. It takes me like 10 stressful minutes trying everything possible to get it out of 4wd. I have been spraying wd40 on the linkage for a couple days now. Seems to be helping.
I sprayed the cable and linkage every day for 4 days, and now it shifts back into 2wd the first time!
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
fizzer
1999 WJ 

i had this same problem about 5 months ago wen i didn't kno anything about WJs and actually drove home about 4mi on pavement in part time but didn't take sharp turns so the wheels didn't lock up. I hit JF and a bunch of ppl told me it was the t-case linkage its common for the clip to break off and then the T case will be stuck in one gear setting. my linkage looked good so i took QuadraTokn way and sprayed it wit a bunch of wd-40. that seemed to fix it and i havnt had the problem since then.
fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

recently i found that my 242 doesn't like the easy way if i put it N while rolling then shift to 2wd then back to D it doesn't go but lately if im going about 30mph and shift back to 2wd in D the tcase handle makes that light pop if you have your hand on it and is firm doesn't move at all. like it ust to.

but i also changed my tcase fluid and it helped.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 wheel drive , 4wd , linkage , stuck , transfer case

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.