'01 WJ Need Help With Starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '01 WJ Need Help With Starting

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 10-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
ugadawg

'01 WJ Need Help With Starting

Quick question for some of the more mechanically inclined Jeep guys out there. I have an '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 (not the H.O.) with approx 104k miles on it. I've spent the last week searching the forum for a possible solution and haven't found anything to date. So here's my problem. I've been having problems with a long crank for some time now, and recently it has started idling low to the point where it shakes the car (usually about 500 w/o AC, 650 w/ AC). Last wednesday the car would turn over but not start unless I floored it, and I had to keep the pedal 1/4 the way down to keep it running. I changed the fuel pump, air filter, battery and spark plugs. The plugs were pretty black, the fuel pump screen was pretty dirty too, and the air filter was somewhat dirty. So now it runs, but I'm still having the same problem with cold starts. I takes a while to crank (usually 5-8 seconds) and I get a really bad gas smell once it does crank. How can I get it to start "normally" agian? I've also recently changed the started and Throttle Position Sensor. Could really use some help guys!! Thanks in advance!!

ugadawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

All efi engine have a eletric controlled valve that controls the air flow it a idle.
Sounds to me like it is not opening. Most of the time they can be cleaned.
Sometimes they need replaced.
Sometimes they are called the idle air control vavle.
Its usally found parallel to the throttle blade when closed on the side of the throttle body.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
BigBlue1966

Hi,

Did you really change the whole fuel pump ?

Look at the TSB 1400201 at wjjeeps.com.
This is maybe a reason.
Unread 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
jcollett1

hey man - remove the throttle body from the engine and give it a good clean with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush. check out this link.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/tbody.htm

since you already did replace the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) cleaning the thorttle body and Idle Air Control valve (IAC) is more than likely your solution.

my 00 4.7 was having idle problems (among other things). i did a complete throttle body cleaning along with cleaning up the IAC, and it solved all my issues (see my other posts).

i also have a 02 HO that is a company jeep - we had it in to the dealership a few months back because it wouldn't idle at all, they replaced the IAC and TPS, and cleaned the TB and problems solved.

good luck!

2000 WJ 4.7 Limited selec-trac
2007 JK 3.8 Unlimited
2002 WJ 4.7 HO Limited quadra-drive (company jeep)

Last edited by jcollett1; 10-15-2007 at 01:15 PM..
jcollett1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
ugadawg

Yes, I replaced the whole fuel pump rather than just the o-ring. Figured it would make more sense because of the vehicle's high mileage, and dropping the fuel tank is not something I want to do again.
So I tried cleaning the throttle body. It didn't help. I also replaced the regulator/filter last night. It helped a little with the low idle, but not much. However, it still takes 5-10 seconds to startup when cold. I guess the next step should be to replace the IAC? Any more help, anyone?
ugadawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
HookEm
2001 WJ 

I know this is really old, and I don't think I'm supposed to start up old threads, sorry. All the symptoms are the exact same for me.

What did you do to get it to start on its own again?

FS: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/various-things-wj-1626297/
HookEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.