01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Power steering & oil pressure problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Power steering & oil pressure problem

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 11-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
jasoncrowley

01 Jeep Grand Cherokee Power steering & oil pressure problem

I have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited with 4.7L v8 that has suddenly started having some problems. First, power steering fluid starting leaking pretty bad and my mechanic told me he could not fix it and that the dealership would have to. It appears to be leaking where the line meets the pump. Do they make an o-ring kit? Am I going to have to replace the line, pump, & resovior?

Problem 2. This problem started at the exact same time as the power steering. In the mornings, my oil pressure randomly drops to 0 at complete stops. It doesnt do this all the time but purely at random. It rises back to normal upon acceleration. Any ideas? Sending unit?

Any tips would be helpful. Im new to Jeep ownership.

thanks

jason

jasoncrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Silver yj

The P/s leak will depend on where it is comeing from, as far as I no there is not a o ring from the line to the pump. If you can just clean it off around where you feel the leak is comeing from and get someone to hold the wheel to full turn and watch to see where it is comeing from. I belive the pump and resivor (sp) can be bought apart from eachother. The line will either be the pressure line or return line, most likely the pressure line. The oil pressure prob may just be the guage or like you said the sending unit. If it drops all the way down you should hear the engine knocking if it was the oil pressure.
Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not to insult you but...
you have checked the oil level right?
Are you sure it is not leaking also?
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
jasoncrowley

oil

I have been checking my oil daily since this all started and I haven't lost a drop of oil. I change it every 5000 miles like clock work and even changed it 200 miles ago. I'm thinking it the the sending unit. There is no knocking whatsoever when it drops to 0 so I'm gonna take care of the power steering issue first and then look into the oil problem.

thanks!
jasoncrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
dpthomasjr

I have both problems with my 99 WJ. I was told on another thread that the oil pressure problem is the sending unit. I did not have any engine noise when it went to 0 either. I bought one and will be changing it out this weekend. The funny thing is that I just had my oil changed and the pressure reads fine now. Im changing it out anyway.

Sending unit - $38.95 at Napa.
1-1/16" deep well socket.
Located 2" above the oil filter.
I have been told it is a piece of cake - Ill let you know.

The pwr steering fuild is driving me crazy. My mechanic told me it would be too costly to fix and suggested replacing the fluid with the "fix-a-leak" type fluid first. Did that a month ago and its still leaking about a drop a day. I have to look in to it a little more.

Good luck!
1999 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited
dpthomasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
cdrymalla
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i know this topic is old, but I found it while I was questioning a leak in my oil pressure sending unit....I had a slow leak turn into a horrible leak in the P/s. The fluid was ok at full pressure, but when I stopped, it would leak while the car was cooling down. Tried all the stop leak stuf, etc....In the end I determined that the pressure while running was sealing and once it let off, the seal broke and leaked. I had to replace the hose assembly from the pump to the reservoir - Mopar sells it all as one piece. It is a new design with better seals and I think it came with a new little adapter that had to be screwed in. Worked like a champ.
cdrymalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
GVITIS

Power steering and oil pressure

On the Power Steering...
just make sure you use Jeep Parts. the parts from the auto zones and advanced and orielly's are not designed correctly and do not work well. Save your self time by buying original Jeep parts for this job.

On the OIL Pressure I was told that over time there is a rubber seal that becomes lose and so the sensor does not reading correctly. I was told not to worry about it unless the car begins to do funny stuff I have been driving with the oil pressure thing for about 2 years now and just try to pay attention to what the car is doing when it happens.
GVITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
crankin650
1997 ZJ 

Where is the oil pressure sending unit located on my 97 Grand Cherokee 5.2L? Stupid Haynes manual never mentions it. Just an oil level switch on the pan. My guage dropped to 0 today when I stopped for gas but everything runs fine... well fine for this engine.
crankin650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.