01 Jeep GC Limited - New User with Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 Jeep GC Limited - New User with Problem

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
hockeysc23

01 Jeep GC Limited - New User with Problem

Hey everyone,

First of all I would like to thank everyone here for all the great content. I have been reading this forum non-stop before I decided to buy my 1st ever Jeep and have already learned a great deal. Unfortunately my new to me Jeep already seems to be having a couple problems and I am curious on some input from the members here.

Background: I had a 1997 Saturn SC2 for college which primarily served to go back and forth to college and be cheap. Well I hit some black ice and at 20 mph bent the frame of the car and decided it was time for a new car. I finally found a GC Limited that I was interested in and although the dealership was a horrible experience I love my Jeep.

I bought it on 3/19 and the dealership has a 30 day / 1k warranty on it that is 50/50 on parts and service but they were such a pain to deal with Id prefer not to take it to them until I know what is wrong or have an idea so they don't screw with me.

Problem: The check engine light came on yesterday during a normal drive to work. When I start the car the oil pressure seems to go high to about 50-60 then when idling comes back down to 40. I have filled it up with gas since I bought it and have put around 400 miles on it just driving it around to work and a trip to visit the college friends. Also the brakes make a nice whistling sound when stopping so I bought break pads assuming this was the problem but the pads and rotors seem in good condition.

Question: So I guess my questions are what should I look for or try to clear the engine check light? Is this something that is worth taking back to the dealer over, they have another dealer branch closer to me that I might see if they can look at it, and should I continue to drive the car with this problem? And what might be causing the brake sound? I plan on switching out the rotors and brakes this summer when I start my new job.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the newb posting such a long and hopefully simple question. I usually try to just look at messageboards for a couple months before posting but I didn't anticipate any problems with my Jeep yet.

hockeysc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
hockeysc23

I went to wjjeeps.com and went through the diagnostic and got codes: P0442, P0455, and P0456. All having to do with the Evaporated Emission Control System Leak Detected.
hockeysc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
hinchcliffe

Take it to the dealer and have them fix the issues and have them provide a record showing what they fixed, that way they don't just clear the lights and send you on your way.
Unread 03-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
avpro91

I had a similar problem with those specific codes on my 03. Turned out to be a lot of rotted hoses in the evap system. In the 03 they were behind the left rear wheel. I think in earlier years they were in the engine compt. with the LDP. A quick smoke test of the system will tell you if this is your problem right away. Sholdnt cost much or take long. The dealer probibly just reset the light before they sold it to you. I would reset mine and it would stay off for a few days to a few months and then come on again. Each time I would find more hoses that were dry rotted. Eventually I found all of the rotted ones and now no more problem. Could be the LDP or duty cycle purge valve too. There are some service bullitens out for this .....not sure if your model year is affected though.

My brakes always seem to squeel from time to time withe perfectly good rotos and pads. These are notorious for brake problems it seems. Might just need a cleaning.
avpro91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.