01 Grand Cherokee fuel pump replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 01 Grand Cherokee fuel pump replacement

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #1
rkreger2

01 Grand Cherokee fuel pump replacement

I had to replace my fuel pump in my 01 GC this past week. I debated on dropping the tank or just cutting a hole in the body. I decided to cut a hole in the body. I am so glad I did. It was VERY easy and the fuel pump came out in no time. I was very worried about removing my aftermarket trailer hitch and stock skid plate. The bolts were a bit rusty. The fuel pump is located under the spare tire tub so you'll never know. I drilled a hole on the right hand side where the body "bubbles up" into the spare tire. You can see the fuel pump from underneath to just where to cut first. I had it out within an hour, didn't drain the half tank of gas and was good to go. I RVT'd a plate over the hole and painted it black when i was done and it just looks like it is suppose to be there.

I would recommend changing the fuel pump this way. If you want to you could do the whole external fuel pump very easily.

rkreger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Good job! What did you use to cut the hole a jigsaw? How much space is there between the floor and the pump?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've done something similar in an XJ. There was no way I was about to try to benchpress a tank that had about 14 gallons of gas in it.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
rkreger2

In the center "bubbled up" area where I cut my exploration hole there is about 3" of clearance. As you go out away from the center of the spare tire tub it goes down to about 1" of clearance.

I drilled a 1" hole first in the area where there is 3" of clearance. I then took the hole saw and made several cut around the fuel pump. The hole saw was very controllable as far as break through clearance. Once I found out how much clearance I had and how the lines were run I used a air powered nibbler I borrowed from our fab shop at work. It worked great. It cut through like butter and made a nice straight cut. I then took a piece of aluminum plate and cut it to fit around the jack holder and bent it with a mallet to the shape of the tub. I painted it black, put some RVT down and stuck it back in place. I still haven't told the wife I cut into her Jeep (she was dead set against it) but she sure is happy to have it running again. I did it while she was at work
rkreger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

i'm all too aquainted with how to drop the tank on my 01 already lol...its only like 6 or 8 bolts...not half bad.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

hey rkreger would you mind taking a picture of that hole?
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
cmonson

Ya, I would love to see a pic. I did this same thing on my 97 saab 900. I made a really well thought out access cover for any future fuel pump related issue. Made changing the pump the next time a 20 min job.

Fact of the matter, is if you make a high quality access cover and not some hack job, this is a fine way to go about it.

Just be careful cutting above a gas tank. There is a known issue of vapor leaks from the 0-ring at the top of the pump. Jeep even has a TSB for this. Sparks plus fuel vapors can = death of you or the Jeep or both.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

great point cmonson specially since if your replacing it you know its faulty or susceptible of leaks.. whats the easiest to cut that hole?
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreger2 View Post
...I still haven't told the wife I cut into her Jeep (she was dead set against it)

I've been given "attitude" like that before from the wife. Quickest way to end it is to hand her the keys, point to where you keep your tools and tell her she can do it whatever way she wants. Suddenly your idea isn't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonson View Post
...Just be careful cutting above a gas tank...
I'll suggest not cutting with an angle grinder.

I'd also like to see this pic.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
cmonson

did you ever take a pic?
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
pics
130608_0000.jpg   130608_0003.jpg  

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.