'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine Knocking after changing oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine Knocking after changing oil

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
depebush

'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Engine Knocking after changing oil

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee and i had gone probably 9000 miles between oil changes and now I changed the oil and its knocking, I think its a top knocking, there is not water on the oil, or metal shavings in the oil either but not sure if it may be a lifter or a rod?

depebush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

Let me guess is it a 4.0?

Do you have the proper amount of oil in it? If everything seems ok, and it is just making a slight knocking don't worry its a common symptom of wear in a 4.0 - The lifters tick.

if it goes away at revs above idle then I wouldn't worry too much. Its not catastrophic, just keep changing the oil.
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ticking.....4.0......bring on the Lucas oil stabilizer!
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
depebush

i put 5 quarts of oil, it started as a ticking but now its a knocking and wont go away while the car is in motion it goes along with the RPM's but the oil pressure is normal
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
depebush

there is no power loss though
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

4.0 takes six quarts of oil.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by depebush View Post
i put 5 quarts of oil, it started as a ticking but now its a knocking and wont go away while the car is in motion it goes along with the RPM's but the oil pressure is normal
Do you have a 4.0L? I know my 4.0L takes 6 quarts.
98zjdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
depebush

so if its short a quart will it knock ?
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
DaveMurray
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Even if it wasn't the lack of oil causing the knocking, why wouldn't you fill the oil to the FULL line?
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
depebush

i thought it was gonna be enough
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by depebush View Post
i thought it was gonna be enough
You should always fill it up all the way, running low a quart of oil isnt the worse thing you can do, but lets just say its not the best either. Fill that last quart up with a quart of lucas and go from there.
98zjdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

From my own personal experience 5.5-5.75 quarts is the magic number. Remember that some oil stays in the crankcase.

I usually fill it to 5.5, drive it, let it sit for a bit, then read the dip stick and bring it to full. It never takes 6 to fill it.

Just dumping in 6 is not necessary and IMO not worth the risk of overfilling even slightly.

Also being down roughly 1 qt should not cause knocking.
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_da_jpr View Post
From my own personal experience 5.5-5.75 quarts is the magic number. Remember that some oil stays in the crankcase.

I usually fill it to 5.5, drive it, let it sit for a bit, then read the dip stick and bring it to full. It never takes 6 to fill it.

Just dumping in 6 is not necessary and IMO not worth the risk of overfilling even slightly.

Also being down roughly 1 qt should not cause knocking.
With the 4.0s I had and my 4.7 I dump in the 5 quart jug and then 1/4 to 1/2 of the 6th quart, start and let idle for a few minutes and recheck.

I always ran Lucas in my ZJ after 120k or so. I would use almost a quart in the summer, and about 1/2 in the winter. That helped a lot. I would also advise against a certain orange filter, that happens to have FRAM painted on the side In my very limited experiences with them on a 4.0 the anti-drainback valve or whatever you want to call it was less than adequate

Oh, and since I don't think it's been mentioned....9k is probably a little long if your not running synthetic.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara

Last edited by dougy147; 04-08-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: had a final thought...
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

9k intervals and a quart low, awesome maintenance (not). It could be a typical 4.0 or it may be on it's way out (which I wouldn't doubt).
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
depebush

well I added another quart still no improvement so I dont know it may be a lifter or a rod , how much longer do i have til it gets really bad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.