0 oil pressure and no check engine light? Also what trigers major check engine fault - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 0 oil pressure and no check engine light? Also what trigers major check engine fault

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
SPL Tech

0 oil pressure and no check engine light? Also what trigers major check engine fault

I have two questions. First of all what things will trigger a major check engine fault (check engine light flashes)?

Also once I accidentally broke off my oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure gauge dropped to 0. Well the check engine light did not come on. Why not? I would think no oil pressure would trip a major check engine fault (light flashes).

SPL Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

Yeah its weird. The oil pressure doesnt affect the CEL or even a check gauges light.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Several things will cause a check engine light.. They are listed on here somewhere, or in a haynes or chiltons book.

The oil pressure sender only sends the pressure to the gauge, nothing else. The pcm doesnt monitor the oil pressure.

edit..

not sure if newer years have a "Check Gauge" light or not.. But that would alert you to a low oil pressure..

My zj only has the "Check Engine" light

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
SPL Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunthagunth
Yeah its weird. The oil pressure doesnt affect the CEL or even a check gauges light.
Hmmm... So a loose gas cap warrants a check engine light, but not no oil pressure. lamo. I think some of the engineers at Jeep like to sleep on the job sometimes.
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #5
SPL Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Joe-
Several things will cause a check engine light.. They are listed on here somewhere, or in a haynes or chiltons book.

The oil pressure sender only sends the pressure to the gauge, nothing else. The pcm doesnt monitor the oil pressure.

edit..

not sure if newer years have a "Check Gauge" light or not.. But that would alert you to a low oil pressure..

My zj only has the "Check Engine" light
I know there are several things that can fault the check engine light. But there are less then 10 that will trigger a severe fault (light flashes). btw.. I am talking about the 1994 ZJ with the 4.0
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
SPL Tech

And the search option is not working. It never really has.
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

I keep forgetting if you dont donate you dont get the search option.. sorry.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
SPL Tech

oh. so anyone know what will trigger a high level echeck engine fault?
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I think we are talking about two different things?

The oil level sensor is located on the passenger side of the oil pan. It will light a lamp only when a low level is sensed or trouble with the wiring.

The dashboard oil pressure gage is reading the pressure sensed at the oil filter. It is not tied into any warning lamps, as someone has already stated.

If I remember correctly, a flashing Check Engine light is a warning. If it is steadily lit, then this is a more serious issue?? I will try to find out where I read that.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
sgarlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
The dashboard oil pressure gage is reading the pressure sensed at the oil filter. It is not tied into any warning lamps, as someone has already stated.
That's only true of some years and models. My '96 has a check gauges light that illuminates when that needle drops to zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
If I remember correctly, a flashing Check Engine light is a warning. If it is steadily lit, then this is a more serious issue?? I will try to find out where I read that.
If it's flashing, it's a misfire condition, if it's steady, it's a stored PCM trouble code.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.