0 oil pressure and loud noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 0 oil pressure and loud noises

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 07-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

0 oil pressure and loud noises

This jeep'll be the end of me. I got it running once, then it died and i had to replace the fuel pump, lines, hoses and filler neck. Now i just got the thing inspected the other day and my brother takes it out for a ride and the oil pressure drops, the temp starts climbing over 210 and the thing sounds like a locomotive. i pulled off the valve cover and nothings broken under there, nothings loose, pushrods don't look bad. The oil has like a grey color to it and there's a little bit more then how much i put in. I'm wondering if the head gasket didn't seal right, and/ or something seized and blew it out. when trying to start it you hear a definate ker-chunk but i can turn it over by hand freely and i don't feel any type of resistance. I'm going to pull of the pan and see if i can see an issue. although i'm a little hesitant to spend anymore time on it.

worse comes to worse, i'm going to get angry enough to yank the motor out and put my yj's motor in it.

Unread 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Ben_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like coolant is getting into the oil....probably blew a head gasket....
Ben_321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

hm... i thought i had the surfaces pretty clean. i've heard of people having trouble getting a good seal without having a machine shop finish the surfaces. as soon as i saw the color of the oil, and amount of it, i assumed a head gasket too. my other guess was that an oil passage got blocked somewhere causing the noise due to a burnt bearing, causing the heat, which resulted in a blown head gasket.
Unread 07-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

any chance a spun bearing could have caused this. What would make the oil pressure just drop like that? I pulled the valve cover and nothing looks broken or lose.
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you're not going to see a bad head gasket by pulling the valve cover.

what motor is it anyways?

you either have a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked water jacket. as the oil gets more water in it the pump won't maintain pressure due to foaming. if you keep running it you will be into main bearings...

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i wasn't looking for a bad head gasket when i pulled the cover. i was looking for a broken spring or obviously broken valvetrain peice. i used some of the crack detection paint on the head before i installed it and i didn't find any faults with it. also the block was from a well running jeep. it's a 4.0. I'm pulling the pan off to see if there's any metal chunks in there and to check the bearings. if it's all good, i'll just clean the hell out of the deck and head and put in a new gasket.
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

If you had the head/heads off after problems and did not get them checked/surfaced then you may have made the same big mistake that I did on a John Deere tractor and I for one will not ever make that mistake again ...

Edit : It ran fine for a couple of weeks and then got milky again ...

I had to undo a lot of work just to get back to where I started ...

"I had to undo a lot of work "

It was a hell of a lot of work, so don't go there again either...

Last edited by phitmein; 07-26-2009 at 08:21 AM..
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You won't know what the problem is until you pull that motor apart some more. However, the combo of weird noises, low oil pressure, and funny looking oil is not good
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I heard that, and did I read, grey looking oil or was it milky that I read ???

Since you said that you have an I6, then if it was mine, I would be thinking about pulling the head and having it checked ...

Heck, If I had to pull my head, I would rebuild it and trick it out at the same time too ...

And, I would go with an all new fancy breathable exhaust if I tore it down that far ...

I am still studying my future soon build here and I think/know that I have a crack Ex. manifold and
when I have to tear it down that far, that with 174,000 miles, that I would be stupid not to take the advantage and build a stroker that breathes ...

I got the cash, to build my ride, but I need yalls accumulated knowledge to build it right ...

Cash ain't king ...Knowledge is ...

Thanks guys ...

Phit
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the oil is greyish milky. like mercury or something, weird. But it's a bummer cause i just had the motor out, replaced a piston, all new rings, new rod bearings and main bearings, head gasket and oil pump. i took a cookie wheel to the head and block to clean it. Maybe that was my problem. But somethings telling me that the head gasket blew as a result of something else. Maybe i'm wrong.

i didn't have the head and block profesionally surfaced, but i did use a dye penetrant to check for cracks. The same one they advertised on the power block once. i don't have the cash to fix whatevers wrong with it right now. I'm going to put it off til the fall and maybe build a motor that i have in the garage in preparation for it. i have a 12 counterweight and 4 counterweight 4.2 crank and rod kickin around...hmmm
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

It may not be trashed yet and if you don't mind doing the leg work, pull the head and have it checked ...
It worked like a charm on my tractor and I used my tractor for many years afterwards on a golf course ...

Pull your head, build it and try it and if it doesn't work, then you will have a head ready for when you do your build ...

P.S. I must add though, that the loud noises part is scary and in truth, it looks grim to me for you ...
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
the oil is greyish milky. like mercury or something, weird. But it's a bummer cause i just had the motor out, replaced a piston, all new rings, new rod bearings and main bearings, head gasket and oil pump. i took a cookie wheel to the head and block to clean it. Maybe that was my problem. But somethings telling me that the head gasket blew as a result of something else. Maybe i'm wrong.

i didn't have the head and block profesionally surfaced, but i did use a dye penetrant to check for cracks. The same one they advertised on the power block once. i don't have the cash to fix whatevers wrong with it right now. I'm going to put it off til the fall and maybe build a motor that i have in the garage in preparation for it. i have a 12 counterweight and 4 counterweight 4.2 crank and rod kickin around...hmmm
Jeeps are known to have head problems..... Even with Professional machine shop help, issues are hard to prevent sometimes, but cutting a corner here was probably asking for trouble. Coolant in the oil and a blown head gasket don't confirm that the engine is toast. However, I am concerned about the combination of these and the weird "Ker-chunk" noise that you hear. Before you decide anything, pull the head & pan off this motor.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The thing is i've done a few head gaskets with just cleaning the surfaces real well with a cookie wheel and then brake clean, never had an issue before. Just keep it moving around alot as to not gouge or take off too much material. They've all lasted, but i guess there's gotta be a first. I started pullin the pan but it got stuck in between the axle and the motor. My jack crapped the bed on me and won't jack the frame any higher. So i'll have to undo the motor mounts and lift the motor a hair. it turns into a not-so-fun project. I haven't decided to scrap the motor or anything. But there's definately some issues goin on in there.

The one thing i was thinking is that my craftsman torque wrench isn't accurate anymore and a few caps weren't torqued right, or anything else really. I'll be buying a new torque wrench soon i think.
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

why would you buy a new torque wrench?
1. it's craftsman, if you broke it you get a free replacement no matter what.
2. it's craftsman, you get free recalibrations no matter what.
3. torque wrenches must be calibrated every time they're dropped or once a year.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Forget the new torque wrench ???

Did you assume, that you could install your head and a new gasket without knowing that it was straight ???

As I said, been there, done that, don't go there ...

Learn from my mistakes ...

Phit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.