ZZ4 350ci and SM465 swap adventure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ZZ4 350ci and SM465 swap adventure

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 06-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ZZ4 350ci and SM465 swap adventure

Well here goes.
I am going to try to document my attempt at installing a turn key ZZ4 350 married to a SM 465 Muncie. My plan is to run my 231 with sye for now.

Please keep in mind this is my first jeep and I have never done anything like this before. So I will learn as I go and I will learn vast amounts of info from all my friends on this forum. I am by no means a Mechanic but I have been a Machinist for 25 years so I understand how things work and I certainly understand fits and tolerances and how critical they are to proper machine function. Only one thing I know for sure is that I WILL make plenty of mistakes....but I learn best that way!

A little history on the heep:
87 Loredo 258. 8.8 with 4.11 and Alloy USA axles, OX locked.

Front axle is d30 with full solid chromo axles also ox locked (I have not completed the front axle yet, all the upgrade parts are on a garage shelf currently)

The Motor

The tranny

Much much more to follow stay tuned!!

Unread 06-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Strong motor, great tranny. Attention to detail, again and again. You won't have a problem with the install. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
Strong motor, great tranny. Attention to detail, again and again. You won't have a problem with the install. Ron
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Wow this post is a dead horse. Maybe this has been documented so many times that nobody has any interest. Hmmm maybe I shouldn't waste my time doing the write up.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in, keep us posted!
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Last time I checked AMERICA was still free, Opinions are every where. I like the idea of the build. If the others don't like it, they don't have to read it. Off topic, A good friend of mine has a 89 yj, and a heavy foot. The last small block broke the bell housing, sbc/465/44's, now he wants a big block. I say build it, document it, wheel it. love it. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Hefavitzen
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Wow this post is a dead horse. Maybe this has been documented so many times that nobody has any interest. Hmmm maybe I shouldn't waste my time doing the write up.
WAIT!!! What happened! DID IT WORK????

I had so much hope for this thread as I am looking at this swap too.

1) how did it go? Any hang ups?
2) What do you think of the motor?
3) Any reason you did not do the LS swap instead of this? (COST?)

Would you go this direction again???

Come back! I care!

My Scrambler has a 40 year old 350 and a fairly low miles TH350. I'd really be interested to hear about your experience.
Hefavitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hoping to get updates too. Love the combo set up.
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well the swap is done and roadworthy. I am extremely happy with the final product. I am waiting on a front driveshaft from Tattons. I just got my oil filter relocation kit from Summit Racing today. The front shaft will hit the oil filter otherwise.

1) how did it go? Any hang ups?
2) What do you think of the motor?
3) Any reason you did not do the LS swap instead of this? (COST?)

I freaking love this motor!!! Rolling burnouts at will. Gotta love roller motors!
Oh yeah I didn't want to spring for an LS. This motor is a great platform fo future upgrades if I want to.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.