Zone 2" lift kit review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Zone 2" lift kit review

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Zone 2" lift kit review

I installed the Zone Offroad 2" kit this weekend, and thought I should share my thoughts on the product. I also installed Zone's frame bushing kit, and used Groundpounders 1/2" lift boomerang shackles.

The Zone springs are well made. The eyes were perfectly formed and dimensioned for the included bushings. I put a little grease on the bushings and they seated nicely by hand. The finish looks pretty good, although they all had paint drips on one side. Like far too much paint was applied. They could do a little better job on that.

Here is an old OEM front and rear spring compared to a new Zone spring. The Zone springs are identical front and rear, and the eye bushings are also the same, just different sleeves in each end.

The installation went well. No problems getting things lined up with the shackles. The frame bushings are poly and fit well. Easily pushed in with a little grease.

I used all new bolts from McMaster. They have everything.

I gained almost exactly 4" of lift, which I'm not really happy about. I was expecting maybe 2.5" from the springs, and another 1/2" from the shackles. I guess the old springs were sagged more than I thought, but they still have good arch as you can see in the pic above. Now I'm looking at possibly needing an SYE, skid drop, or MML. Not sure on that, but I was hoping to avoid those.

Here is a before shot.

A shot with the rear only installed.

And an after install shot.

The ride is pretty good, better than the OEM. The shocks are okay for now. They are not gas charged. Just plain white label shocks. However the rods are thicker than the Rancho 5000 that I removed. They were worn out and had no gas charge left either. This is the first time I've ever had to install bushings in shock eyes myself. They saved a few bucks by leaving that labor to the customer. If I can get a couple of years out of these Zone shocks then I will be happy with the value.

I have no complaints about the kit. It was a dead cinch bolt together deal. All parts fit and nothing was missing. For $500 it is an excellent value. You will get all the inches of lift you pay for, and then some.

Working alone I spent about 12 hours installing, including getting those old frame bushings out and installing the new frame bushings and booms.

bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Any driveline vibrations?
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great! Since you got more lift, it's time for some larger tires!

BTW, I sold my stock springs to a guy who wanted to go SOA - it's a good way to help offset the lift kit cost.
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i had the same extra lift issue with an old man emu 2.5" lift. i was trying to avoid all the extra stuff also but no-go
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for this thread! I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Zone lift - almsot ordered one yesterday, but wanted to wait for the weekdays to ask Zone if they had any deals for the members of this site. Anyone happen to know if they do have a code or something for us?

I'm sticking with the stock shackles, or that's the plan. I don't see any reason to upgrade them since I really don't want much more than 2" of lift. Savings in not buying shackles? I see it as a 'coupon' towards me buying some brand of lift kit.

I figure I can save some time in the short-term by not changing out the frame bushings and the OEM shackles - or at least the bushings attacked to the shackles. Eventually I'll change those out.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Any driveline vibrations?
I haven't got it out at higher speed yet. I found some brake issues I want to fix first. But I think I am feeling some at about 45mph when coasting off throttle. So I do expect to have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
I'm sticking with the stock shackles, or that's the plan. I don't see any reason to upgrade them since I really don't want much more than 2" of lift. Savings in not buying shackles? I see it as a 'coupon' towards me buying some brand of lift kit.

I figure I can save some time in the short-term by not changing out the frame bushings and the OEM shackles - or at least the bushings attacked to the shackles. Eventually I'll change those out.
I wanted to change the frame bushings. I felt it was important for a best chance at good handling. The frame bushing set was only $20 and included all 4 corners with sleeves, and the boom shackles were about $50 for all 4 sets. There is a considerable amount of extra work to change out the frame bushings. I'm happy to have that done with.

I used the sleeves pulled from the frame for the middle spacers in the booms.
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I wanted to change the frame bushings. I felt it was important for a best chance at good handling. The frame bushing set was only $20 and included all 4 corners with sleeves, and the boom shackles were about $50 for all 4 sets. There is a considerable amount of extra work to change out the frame bushings. I'm happy to have that done with.

I used the sleeves pulled from the frame for the middle spacers in the booms.
Thank you, agian, for the reply.

Mine handles well enough that I don't think there is that much to be gained by changing the frame bushings. Granted, they are old, but for the time and energy to jsut get the new suspension on I bet I can forgo changing them for now, and instead make that another day's project.
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Genome73

If you could write down a few observations on the ride on-road, that would be cool.

Thanks.
Genome73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Will do when I get some seat time. I can already say the ride is gentler, with less bone jarring bounces.

Here is a before and after shot of my driveline angle.

Unread 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

would tipping the pinion up help with vibration ?
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The kit included 4 degree shims for the rear diff.
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
The kit included 4 degree shims for the rear diff.
Ooh, that's good to hear.
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just placed my order for the 2" kit.

I'll do measurements of before/after with the stock shackles as a comparison. Thank you for the posts, Bill.
Unread 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, have fun. I sure did.
Unread 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought... could it be that the extra height is due to a lower ride based on worn stock springs? I can easily see 1" of sag from stock springs.

Who is selling the Zone kits? I am planning this same lift for mine over the summer.

Oh, and I had to put the bushings in the Superlift shocks I put on the Jeep last fall too.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.