Your thoughts on a possible tranny swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Your thoughts on a possible tranny swap

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
rigger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your thoughts on a possible tranny swap

I am just collecting thoughts and ideas for the moment so please chime in on any that you may have.

First of all my YJ is in need a clutch. It still grabs well but it is warped for shure. The tranny does not always do what I would like and I am hoping it is only due to the clutch. My original plan was to to just throw a clutch at her and if she still needs it, get a rebuild kit for the 5 speed and just freshen it up.

I suppose that is the most cost effective thing to do and since this is my daily driver, will also allow the least amount of down time. Money and time are very important factors here.

A friend of mine got me to thinking about putting an automattic in it. He has a 700R4 that he wants to put in his one day so this got me to thinking.

What would be the most cost efective auto tranny that I could put in the YJ ? If I were going to do this, it would need to be something that if I had all the parts, I could drop out the 5 speed and bolt up the auto in a weekend. I have to go to work on Monday.

I know the 700R4 would be a nice one to put in it from what I have read but it sounds like it would take a little longer than I would have to put it in.

Would an auto from a TJ or a Grand Cherokee work? Would they be the simplest bolt up? Or would another work out?

Or, just fix what I got and drive on. I really do not have any problem with driving the stick but if I could put an auto in it with out to much hassle and for about the same cost as fixing up what I have now, then why not do that.

Let me know what you guys think. For those of you that have done this before, what kind of problems did you run into and is it even possible to do in a weekend and get back to work on Monday.

Also if you do not mind posting it here, what were your cost involved in doing the swap?

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.