you know you drive a YJ when..... - Page 857 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > you know you drive a YJ when.....

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #12841
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ykydayj when its more important to wash your hands before taking a leak than after

Unread 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #12842
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob
ykydayj when its more important to wash your hands before taking a leak than after
Haha. Thanx for making me make a mess on my table. Chicken doesn't come out your nose as easy as it goes down your throat.

Ask me how I know.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #12843
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob
So damn true

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy
Haha. Thanx for making me make a mess on my table. Chicken doesn't come out your nose as easy as it goes down your throat. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

DISCLAIMER: YOUR ACTIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MONITORED.
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #12844
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Thats the difference between a YJ owner and a Doctor .
Although I guess you could be a YJ owning Doctor in which case you could just burry your mistakes .

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #12845
fugiduck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome
It's not gutless, I just can't use 5th gear on the highway if there is wind coming at any angle other than from behind me. 3:73's on 31" tires. I've been in situations before (45mph-60mph headwind) where I was in third gear with the pedal to the floor and I could barely keep it going 55mph. Your PM box is full so I just pasted my reply here.
3.73's that's nothing I have 3.07 in my rear with 33" tires. With my 4.0 it didn't matter what way the wind was blowing you couldn't use 5th gear.
fugiduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #12846
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So how does this fit into the wrangler forum?

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/sweet-...87262/@pgeorge
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #12847
JohnFM3
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiduck View Post
3.73's that's nothing I have 3.07 in my rear with 33" tires. With my 4.0 it didn't matter what way the wind was blowing you couldn't use 5th gear.
My bnlaw had a Comanche with the same gearing with 31's or 32's. I kept telling him to get a 3.55 gear set from the XJ. That gearing is what I was expecting to hear from Awesome.
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #12848
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

YKYDAYJ when your Jeep only sees 5th gear in 4 low on a high speed 35 mph trail run, but never in 2wd on pavement.
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #12849
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YKYDAYJ ... when twice just this month someone has walked up to me wanting to buy it!

This one isn't for sale .... but if I got another one for the price I got this one .. time to resale for big $$profit$$!
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #12850
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM3 View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that. Mail boxed cleaned out. Sorry.

That's odd. I have a Factory fuel injected 92 with a 4.0L Renix Head (not even the H.O. head) 5sp an 3.73's with 32's an I climb hills in 5th with no problem doing 60mph. Down shift to 4th an I am passing people.

I would have to say there is something definitely wrong with what you have going. Or I got very lucky. This is the second renix motor I have ran. Both have been strong runners which is why I have not felt the need to get a H.O. head yet as long as I keep the rest of the H.O. injection system.
I was in the same situation with my new-to-me YJ 4.0L two yesterday when trying to pass on two lane highways.

Keep in mind that 4.0's probably have a lot of miles on them by now. Mine has 182k miles, so it probably doesn't have the power it once did. Add to that the different configurations of YJ's that are even less aerodynamic than stock ones... and faster highway speeds in some states. On the 60 MPH two-lane I was on, I'd have to get my 3.73 (I believe) YJ with new 31" tires up over 80 to make a pass. If that happened it would take a tail wind, and I almost got myself killed trying it when the tailwind died.

I won't be trying to pass people in the future.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #12851
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave
I was in the same situation with my new-to-me YJ 4.0L two yesterday when trying to pass on two lane highways. Keep in mind that 4.0's probably have a lot of miles on them by now. Mine has 182k miles, so it probably doesn't have the power it once did. Add to that the different configurations of YJ's that are even less aerodynamic than stock ones... and faster highway speeds in some states. On the 60 MPH two-lane I was on, I'd have to get my 3.73 (I believe) YJ with new 31" tires up over 80 to make a pass. If that happened it would take a tail wind, and I almost got myself killed trying it when the tailwind died. I won't be trying to pass people in the future.
My 4.2 isn't bad at all when trying to pass people.. Just make sure you have runway.. Oh and I have 33x12.5x15
And 3.07 gearing... Talk about a dog

GO VOTE FOR THE JANUARY YJOTM TO KICK OFF THE NEW YEAR!! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...-meow-2033809/
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #12852
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

my 4.0 with 3.07 and auto trans never had any trouble passing. What I do is hang back a ways and time the opening, and floor it well before the oncoming car is out of the way. then you will have a nice run. mine also has under 100k miles on it too
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #12853
fugiduck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My 4.0 was freshly rebuilt HO head. Plenty of power. Something weird about it. It just wouldn't do it. If I had to pass it was down to 3rd and floored.
fugiduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #12854
Gatzby
1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE="Awesome;19680841"]

It's not gutless, I just can't use 5th gear on the highway if there is wind coming at any angle other than from behind me. 3:73's on 31" tires. I've been in situations before (45mph-60mph headwind) where I was in third gear with the pedal to the floor and I could barely keep it going 55mph.

Omg amen
Gatzby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #12855
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiechief View Post
YKYDAYJ when your Jeep only sees 5th gear in 4 low on a high speed 35 mph trail run, but never in 2wd on pavement.
If you find yourself in that situation again, just pop up to 4 hi. You'll wear out your transfer case running it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
I was in the same situation with my new-to-me YJ 4.0L two yesterday when trying to pass on two lane highways.

Keep in mind that 4.0's probably have a lot of miles on them by now. Mine has 182k miles, so it probably doesn't have the power it once did. Add to that the different configurations of YJ's that are even less aerodynamic than stock ones... and faster highway speeds in some states. On the 60 MPH two-lane I was on, I'd have to get my 3.73 (I believe) YJ with new 31" tires up over 80 to make a pass. If that happened it would take a tail wind, and I almost got myself killed trying it when the tailwind died.

I won't be trying to pass people in the future.
I was able to do 70-90 and stay in the left lane on busy freeways when the Jeep was new to me. Back then it had just under 100k miles and bald BFG AT's. Now it's got about 182k (like yours) and doesn't have as much power as it once had. I used to pass people all the time, but I don't bother now.

I actually used to race up this one hill that I had to drive up every day after work. All the old people take it at 35mph (steep hill). I'd wait until the top, so I could see if it was safe, and then blow by them. Can't do THAT anymore.

Of course, I do carry about 250lbs of bumpers, winch, hi-lift and spare tire now that I didn't have back then. That probably adds to the problem.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.