you know you drive a YJ when..... - Page 335 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > you know you drive a YJ when.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #5011
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

when doing some stereo work you find a rats nest of wires and some stuff that just makes you wonder what the hell the P.O. was thinking when this was installed.

just happened like...five minutes ago. radio quit working. gonna be a quiet ride to work tomorrow until i get this resolved.

georgia4x4in is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #5012
Dores37
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You trade in your beloved PS3 for some parts, because after all, your YJ has priority
Dores37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #5013
CanuckGirl
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia4x4in View Post
when doing some stereo work you find a rats nest of wires and some stuff that just makes you wonder what the hell the P.O. was thinking when this was installed.

just happened like...five minutes ago. radio quit working. gonna be a quiet ride to work tomorrow until i get this resolved.
My stereo has died and been replaced about 3 times. Trust me... you know you drive a YJ when even without a stereo, it's still not a quiet ride.
CanuckGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #5014
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGirl View Post
My stereo has died and been replaced about 3 times. Trust me... you know you drive a YJ when even without a stereo, it's still not a quiet ride.
make one of these... i can hear the speakers all the way up to 65 mph with side winds. im gonna upgrade to pioneer speakers some point soon.

EDIT: and... my soundbar cost me less than $20, and a couple hours to make + install.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #5015
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seabee View Post
make one of these... i can hear the speakers all the way up to 65 mph with side winds. im gonna upgrade to pioneer speakers some point soon.

EDIT: and... my soundbar cost me less than $20, and a couple hours to make + install.

oh i'm gonna be making/buying a soundbar in the near future. more than likely making one. i do construction so i can just grab some wood out of the dumpster on a job and use that haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGirl View Post
oh hell no it won't be literally quiet, just no music i'm planning on getting a new head unit anyways. the pioneer that was in there when i got it is ancientish. it's finicky as hellllll. i plugged in an aux cable to the rear input, plugged in my ipod and the head unit started freaking out, switched over the the radio setting and started flying through stations until i unplugged my ipod.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #5016
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
oh i'm gonna be making/buying a soundbar in the near future. more than likely making one. i do construction so i can just grab some wood out of the dumpster on a job and use that haha.
oh nice! same here with the construction thing, only difference is that i operate heavy equipment for uncle sam... not the city or for some ******* foreman.

heres the parts i used, i got them all from home depot.

particle board shelf (i think its 9x42, i forgot)

2 mounting brackets for the shelf, used as reinforcements.

four fence post brackets (bent and cut to fit the roll cage)

and then from there did the measurements, cut the holes, dropped the speakers in, bolted them in, and then wired them up to the deck and bam... i got sound. i just ran the wiring down the passenger side roll bar and its hidden by the padding, and then it runs under the carpet and up into the dash.

it was actually a very fun project to do.

like i said, about $20 and a couple hours to make. and i thought the particle board would explode and just totally fail but using the mounting brackets for the shelf as a reinforcement bar made that thing as sturdy as a rock! i forgot to take pictures of the whole process, when i started i intended to make a build thread on it.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #5017
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice. i work for a contractor and he's a pretty cool dude. but yeah i'll be doing this soon. just need to pick up a few more speakers. i killed the 4x6's in the dash and my friend gave me a pair of like 5 1/4" pioneers and i wired them up to some loose wiring that was for some aftermarket rear speakers that were dead. now they just sit on my floorboards by the firewall in front of the shifter and the magnets hold them in place lol. it's pretty ghetto but it works for now.
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #5018
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You spend two days wheeling and on the last run deep into the mountains going over a ledge you hear a crunch. You then fear the worst as you get to a flat spot hearing a clunk crunch figuring it's a axle shaft that blew up. Look at the carnage and discover it's only a shackle mount so you grab a ratchet strap to make a handy trail repair and drive it out and home.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #5019
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
nice. i work for a contractor and he's a pretty cool dude. but yeah i'll be doing this soon. just need to pick up a few more speakers. i killed the 4x6's in the dash and my friend gave me a pair of like 5 1/4" pioneers and i wired them up to some loose wiring that was for some aftermarket rear speakers that were dead. now they just sit on my floorboards by the firewall in front of the shifter and the magnets hold them in place lol. it's pretty ghetto but it works for now.
hahaha lucky! all my buddies who got out of the seabees got a job right away (navy seabees ftmfw!) but they all work for *** holes who think they have the key to life. i went to visit my buddy out in the LA area and i promptly got into an argument about heavy equipment with his boss. ****in tool (no pun intended).

but yeah right now im rockin some bose speakers out of a lexus but they just don't have the umph i want, so im gonna head over to best buy one of these days and check out their line of pioneer speakers.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #5020
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seabee View Post
hahaha lucky! all my buddies who got out of the seabees got a job right away (navy seabees ftmfw!) but they all work for *** holes who think they have the key to life. i went to visit my buddy out in the LA area and i promptly got into an argument about heavy equipment with his boss. ****in tool (no pun intended).

but yeah right now im rockin some bose speakers out of a lexus but they just don't have the umph i want, so im gonna head over to best buy one of these days and check out their line of pioneer speakers.
=bose. no offense to your set up or anything.

and i'd stay away from pioneer as well unless you're gonna go for their premier stuff. the only reason i have pioneer anything is the headunit came in the jeep, and the speakers were a freebie.

try infinti. i had a pair of their 4x6's in my old 300zx that were absolutely phenomenal. not exactly cheap but well worth it IMO.
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #5021
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
:

try infinti. i had a pair of their 4x6's in my old 300zx that were absolutely phenomenal. not exactly cheap but well worth it IMO.
+1 on the infiniti. Got them in all 4 doors of my Ram. Didn't even get the 6x9s for the doors (got 5 1/4 and made a panel to fit) and they are still really loud. Very clean too.
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #5022
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

when you've spend so much money and time working on you yj that when your driving down the road you jeep acts up and you pull over and grab the huge tool box out of the back and fix it right there on the spot...... thus resulting in huge burns all over your arms.... as my wife just sits there on the curb and laughs at me but at the end of the day she's the one washing my shorts again hehehehe
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #5023
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

when you spend so much on parts that you dont have enough money for gas...
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #5024
JPRatYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylightsrsquare View Post
when you spend so much on parts that you dont have enough money for gas...
i've been there right after i finished doing a huge project and i really wanted to drive it but i couldn't afford the gas for the rest of the week but some how i still managed to talk my wife into using the credit card to go mudding the next day
JPRatYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #5025
mylightsrsquare
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRatYJ View Post
i've been there right after i finished doing a huge project and i really wanted to drive it but i couldn't afford the gas for the rest of the week but some how i still managed to talk my wife into using the credit card to go mudding the next day
im there now, ill have to ask to barrow money for gas tomorrow

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.