yo rebuild or not to rebuild that is thi question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yo rebuild or not to rebuild that is thi question

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
njdpb22
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yo rebuild or not to rebuild that is thi question

my 89 wrangler is starting to give me problems.... my altanator, my power steering, my carb, my gauges, and exsusat leaks are starting to get the best of the jeep. i need the jeep as a 2nd car for the snow and getting to school when i cant take my other car. so i need a jeep... i do offroad at least 1ce a week and plan on doing more....

now my question is should i spend the money replacing everything. like the carb and power steering and altinator, and replace the gaskets all over and the clutch. i mean the jeep needs work now.... or should i sell it for 2k and put that towards a 4.0 newer jeep. possibly a tj.

what would be cheeper and better in the long run iyo.

any opinion helps... thx

njdpb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
Juno7
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I say go for the TJ. For one, you'll get fuel injection.
Juno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Both choices can be viable.

Sometimes better the devil you know then the devil you don't.

You're buying a car someone else is selling for some reason, perhaps the very same reasons as you. Having had many old vehicles, my rule has become fix it as soon as it breaks. Otherwise it starts to get away from you and becomes overwhelming.

[a rambling story which may have a lesson: My son had an engine fire in his Grand Prix. Purchasing the necessary items was way too expensive, so he bought another one on ebay. When we picked it up it looked very good, and he was seriously thinking of just scrapping his old one and keeping the 'new' one. But life is not so simple. As it turned out, there was much more wrong with the new one than his old one, and he wound up going back to plan A and canabilizing the new one. You're not necessarily getting out of the woods by buying someone else's car]
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think what you really need to ask yourself is;

Do I have the money and the time to rebuild the sour parts on my jeep?
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
JeepitoErgoSum

Not only do you get fuel injection with a TJ, you also get round head lights!
JeepitoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Am I the only one in the world who like square headlights on jeeps? As for the real question. If the jeep truely is your second car, you have a good assortment of tools and space, and you enjoy working on cars, obviously the best solution would be to rebuild. You would be in for far less cash than buying a TJ (depending on what kind of deals you can get).
twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
yjfanatic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would rebuild......if it was my Jeep I would upgrade to the fuel injection. you can find 4.0's with low mileage for about $$600-700 and it comes complete with computer, harness, the works. then you can have fuel injection, swap in some 91-95 gauges, and no one will be able to tell the difference except for the roll bar.
Unread 08-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
njdpb22
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yjfanattic has a great idea... the whole thig with my jeep is mainly the carb. i hate it. i could just buy a 4.0 package. and throw that in it. that will cure about half my problems....

i acculy think round headlights look like crap. square ftw (for the win).... but on the other hand after spending 1000 on new parts and if something else goes wrong. i can end up spending 2K.... and for that price plus the price i can get for my jeep. i can practiclty buy a 96 tj... idk its a catch 22 for me. i wanna have a great truck but i dont wanna spend too much money.... ill have to look around for prices of new motors. and TJ's
njdpb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
jeffpettis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomanyjeeps View Post
Am I the only one in the world who like square headlights on jeeps?

I'm with you.

_____
/l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
jeffpettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
NOLROC

speaking from experience ask your self how much work can you do your-
self address issues that need to be done asap and ones that can ride a
little longer add these factors up and then look at price of newer jeep
and mods you want on it and again how much of the labor you can do your
self add the totals up and look at your budget!!!! sleep on it for few days
and then you'll know what direction you want to go!!!! this is what i did
and ended up keeping mine 94 wrangler and $1700.00 later i smile every
time i pull out of driveway cause i didnt give up on it!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK WHICH EVERY WAY YOU DECIDE TO GO CAUSE YOU WILL
STILL BE IN A JEEP...........................................
NOLROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpettis View Post
I'm with you.
x2 there's more that do...
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

from your earlier post, if you sold the yj you would just move up to an early model tj? if thats the case then you could be just trading for a new set of problems, rebuild the yj.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
fataltherabbit
1990 YJ Wrangler 

rebuild it , then you will know it works and what is messed up...
[/SIZE] [COLOR="Lime"]Sunday.Drivers.[/COLOR]
fataltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Old jeeps = money
new jeeps = money, just not as much.
Don't get fooled by the notion that efi is cheaper than a carbm cause they most certainly aren't. With efi, you have the computer and injectors and sensors and in tank fuel pump. For ease of repairing and cost efectiveness, keep what you have. At least once it's fixed you know that it's done. Go with another jeep and you'll just have to start all over again. Carbs, altanator and power steering pumps can be found at bone yards on the cheap, I don't know what can be a wrong with your gauges, but how hard could it be. Carbed jeeps are easy to work on and parts are laying around every where for them. Just make a list and start checking it off as you make the repair, you will learn a lot and you will know what you have in your jeep and what all thats been done to it. There's no better way to become a jeep guru than to rebuild a couple of them. Not only will have the pride of rebuilding yours, but you will have gained valueble knowledge to pass a long to other seeking help here on the forum.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It might even be cheaper to swap engines? if your looking for fuel injection swap in a cherokee engine. all the time and money you will spend taking everything apart you can save and just buy a used engine that runs well, no leaks, doesnt burn oil you know.
_JEEP_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.