YJ's in the snow??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ's in the snow???

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 08-01-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
smitzer

YJ's in the snow???

Sorry to bring this up right in the middle of the summer. But before I drop a bunch of cash into a jeep I better know what I am getting myself into. My question: How do jeeps perform in the snowy/icy commutes across town to the job? I hear that short wheel base plus light weight contribute to easy 360's. Also if I ever bought oversized tires, that would help cause spins/slides.

What solutions are used to minimize these problems? Sandbags, studded tires, anything along these lines? How do you feel about driving these trucks in the winter?

Oh yea, I will also *need* to use this vehicle to get me to the ski hills, so possible snowy/icy interstates would be driven on.

Thanks for your help!

smitzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
UPnOVER

4 HI Wheel drive = GOOD

Speed + ice= BAD

The Yj drive's like a tank in the snow in 4HI. You will need to learn how to drive it but it is just fine with mods. Go slow and as YOU get better you can go as fast as the weather will let you. Use your head.
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 04:41 PM   #3
Bob J

on my old YJ I used to have a blast driving over everything in the snow. Fot the moderate stuff (a little ice, a foot or less of snow) I would just use chains on the rear wheels and stay in 2WD. For the deep stuff I would put chains on all 4 and go into 4WD LO (no need to drive over 20mph in 2 feet of snow )

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I depends more on the tires and the drivers abiltity than the vehicle itself. That said, the Jeep performs great in the snow.

When I had 235/75r15 tires on my little baby, the All-Terrains did wonders in the softstuff. When I moved to a little bigger 33" tire, they did great in the softstuff, but on the ice it sucked really bad!

Now that I have 38" tires on my beast, I don't know how things will work out in the snow .. I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I shall be siping my tires before the snows fly to try to get the most traction out of them.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

i have uniroyal mudders and they can be fitted with studs, now i have no idea if this helps that much or not cause the friggin salt trucks in this city run 24/7 in the winter at the slightest hint of snow and ice but i would guess that this would solve your ice problem

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2002, 06:04 AM   #6
jfarrell

From my experience driving on ice is always tricky...if its my wife's accord or my old YJ is sucked no matter what. But I did manage to plow with my YJ last winter with 31's on it and never had a problem. I loved driving my Jeep in the snow because it managed to go through everything. I did put 140 pounds of sand in the back but that was only to help offset the weight of the plow in front. I never once had a snowbank or condition that I couldn't get through with my jeep...maybe that's why I just went and bought my second one!!

Good luck with your decision...but the Jeep won't let you down in the snow if you take care of it.
jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2002, 08:56 AM   #7
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Last year we had a decent snow storm in Charlotte and my YJ did great. I took my jeep over to a mall and tried to get it to slide out and it wouldn't. I tried everything and the only way I could get it to was to put it in 2WD and it would do some good doughnuts then. *** This was before any of the lifts or big meats**** I wouldn't do that now. BUt when it was stock with muds, it cornered real well. Just one tip always start out real slow in the snow, spinning on a hill with someone riding your a$$ sucks. I learned that out real fast.
get that jeep bud, you'll never regret it!
Unread 08-02-2002, 10:50 AM   #8
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I have only had my Jeep through one winter, but the snow driving that I did was very good. When getting Christmas trees, I was able to go further in 2WD than my dad's fixed up Chev truck and that was never possible in my Chev truck.

Something that no one else has mentioned is lockers. I don't know if you have/plan on getting a locker, but in my experience (dad's truck has a locker in the front) they definately create a different driving experience in the snow. Nothing too serious, but it does take some getting used to.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2002, 12:08 PM   #9
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My YJ was used for plowing for years until just this past winter.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.