YJ and ZJ trans case swaps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ and ZJ trans case swaps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #1
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

YJ and ZJ trans case swaps

I have a 94 YJ wrangler and a 93 ZJ grand cherokee parts vehicle. Both have NP 231s. My YJ needs a trans case swap and I would like to swap in the ZJ part if possible? Anyone help me out on this?

cruisingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #2
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ittl bolt right up. The only thing that might change is the number of splines on the t case input shaft. Also are they both slip yokes or both have SYEs? The t case will bolt right up and be golden unless the spline count is different. If it's different that means a total disassemble of the tcases and basically swap of internals. (Except the bad parts. They stay)

Do a little research on the YJ year and the ZJ year with relation to the t case spline count. I think there the same.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #3
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot the Cherokee s come with different length input shafts. So that might be a problem too. But looks like ZJs didn't come stock with the 231. So it might be from a wrangler of some type. In which case you'll be good. Other wise pull the cases apart and swap the input shafts. Its not too bad. Basically a SYE install.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #4
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Input shaft length doesn't matter for a nv3500, not sure about the AX. In auto trans the length is important because it seals the trans, it diesnt seal anything in my 5 speed

In 93-94, a 4.0 ZJ could have come with a 231. Every ZJ tcase has 23 spline input shaft.
Unread Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #5
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The 93 is definately a 231
Unread Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #6
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Gotcha, just saying "could have" because it isn't the most common thing in a ZJ

But it is 23 spline, and yours iirc is 21 spline since you have a 4 banger. You can probably swap input shafts. I say "probably" because I don't know too much about yjs, maybe someone that does will chime in.

Here's a link to t case info about ZJs, and input shaft swap writeup
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-np242-685644/
Unread Today, 01:09 AM   #7
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have another ZJ going to tow home this week. It is also a 231. Wierd- is it a Hawaii thing? And the sucky thing is- in 94- looks like it is totally impossible to tell if it is a 21 or 23 spline in 94 Wranglers- they used both at random if I am reading correctly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.