Yj+yj bastard pack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj+yj bastard pack

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
mbeck94
1977 CJ7 

Yj+yj bastard pack

Does any one know if any lift is achieved from adding leafs from another yj to my current packs? if so how much have you experienced?

thanks

77 CJ- sold
mbeck94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This thread has the info you need.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hread-1098044/

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
mbeck94
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
not quite... I was asking about mixing a yj with a yj.
77 CJ- sold
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeck94 View Post
If you read the entire thread it would. The thread details the process, which is the same thing you'd have to go through in order to add the YJ springs. However, a couple pages in, a guy details his bastard pack in which he uses YJ springs, just like you're asking.

I have to warn you though, YJ springs won't lift you very much if you're swapping. Adding leaves will give you some lift, but will eventually flatten out. I recommend finding leaf springs off of any truck, as long as the leaves are 2 1/2" wide. The YJ springs are thin, and won't give enough lift for all of the effort.
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My bad. I didn't read the question thoroughly. I haven't heard of anyone doing it and getting any kind of lift. You might be able to find some rear springs and possibly put them on the front, maybe. I believe they have more leafs that the front on stock suspension.

Are you just trying to get some lift on a budget?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My bad. I didn't read the question thoroughly. I haven't heard of anyone doing it and getting any kind of lift. You might be able to find some rear springs and possibly put them on the front, maybe. I believe they have more leafs that the front on stock suspension.

You're on the money Louie.

I used that thread when I did mine. I know it like the back of my hand, so you posted the correct thread
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
mbeck94
1977 CJ7 

Quote:

no, i have a set lying around so i figured, hell why not see if i can get any lift. thanks for the link though
77 CJ- sold
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
mbeck94
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
If you read the entire thread it would. The thread details the process, which is the same thing you'd have to go through in order to add the YJ springs. However, a couple pages in, a guy details his bastard pack in which he uses YJ springs, just like you're asking.

I have to warn you though, YJ springs won't lift you very much if you're swapping. Adding leaves will give you some lift, but will eventually flatten out. I recommend finding leaf springs off of any truck, as long as the leaves are 2 1/2" wide. The YJ springs are thin, and won't give enough lift for all of the effort.
i guess all that does make sense. I will read on next time. what did you use?
77 CJ- sold
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i guess all that does make sense. I will read on next time. what did you use?
Personally, I used springs I got off of Craigslist. I used 4 packs, you only need 2 really though... The first pair was from a 1987 Chevy S-10 Blazer, the next being from a 90s Silverado. But any truck's rear leaf springs should offer thicker springs (which is why people use S10 springs the most) and better arch.

Just compare the YJ springs to truck springs. If they're thicker they should work, as long as they're 2.5 inches across the flat part of the spring.
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100

You're on the money Louie.

I used that thread when I did mine. I know it like the back of my hand, so you posted the correct thread
Sweet. I remember going through that thread when it was first posted and I haven't checked back in on it. Another option (if in the budget) is a 1" body lift. Well worth the money for the added clearance and new body bushings. Just a thought though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Xenephobe375
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did the exact bastard pack you are speaking of. Added the main and second leaf from some spare yj springs to my stock springs and only got about an inch of lift. All in all I was very dissapointed with using YJ springs and should have just bough a pair of S-10 springs.
Xenephobe375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM   #12
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

when i first did my bastard packs, i used other jeep springs. I didnt like the end result so i tore everything back out and redid them with Toyota leafs. My springs are off a 85' Toyota straight axle truck. They are a cheap and almost every aftermarket company sells them if you want new...

This is roughly 7" (w35s) over my stock height (w 31s).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.