Is this YJ worth 2300 OBO?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is this YJ worth 2300 OBO??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 09-21-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
bigoltrux77

Is this YJ worth 2300 OBO??

I saw a 1987 YJ on the side of the road for 2300 OBO. It had 111K with 4.2L 5speed etc. Interior was great except a 4" rip in drivers seat. Soft top with soft doors. It had sometype of Saharah package or equivalent. 2 or 3 dime sixe rust spots, surface though. Needed a good scrub but thats about it. How much should i offer? Or is it even worth my time? Can someone give some details on the pros and cons of the drivetrain of this Jeep? Engine, Tranny, Tcase, Axles Etc. fuel injection or carb? HP? Torque? MPG? I know nothing about wranglers, but i would love to own one...They are bad *** offroad and chick magnets too. LOL Thanks alot.

bigoltrux77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

The 4.2 is a pretty good motor but comes with a crappy carb stock.
The BA/10 tranny is pretty worthless if you plan on hard wheelin.
And some early model 87's came with a np207 x-fer case, not the best one for modding. It's hard to say if it's worth $2300 without seeing it, but it doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Front axle is a D30 and the rear is a D35.
Unread 09-21-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

price might be not too too bad depending on how it runs and how everything works, but i would definatly try and knock em down a good few hundred $. if i was in yer shoes i wouldent buy an 87 cause those particular wranglers are known as pieces o ****. it was the first year of the wrangler and chrysler didnt exactly get everything right that year.(no offense to you 87 guys) the only time id prob buy one is if i were goin 2 totaly swap out the engine, tranny and everything.
asfor things that particular 87 came with....
sahara package is the top of the line basicaly, 4.2 is a reliable engine, but the carb on it sucks big time. the tranny is also a pos, its a peuget i believe.

one thing id also check out real real good is the underside. i see your in wisconsin, and being from the northern states myself, i know what the salty winters can do. theres a good chance that the floor boards could be totaly rotted through and the frame could be on its way out as well.

overall, id have to say that since your new to jeeps and this would be your first, i would avoid it if i were you unless it absolutly ran spectacular. it vary well may be a good looking jeep and run fine when you see it though, but the history of the reliability of them isnt so good and you might be setting up yourself up for a bad first jeep experience. imo id look a few years later, 91 or after and get youself something fuel injected(6 cyl), or if your looking for a 4 banger they were fuel injected from the begining so id say maybe late late 80's or newer. just my 0.02

i paid 2,150 for my 92 just about 6 months ago,4cyl, 5spd. 116,000mi. it was in great cond except for some minor rust in the usual jeep spots(below the stamped "jeep" on the sides)
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)

Last edited by 19OlllllllO41; 09-21-2003 at 10:57 PM..
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #4
JNC995
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the only things wrong with it are what you listed, then it is worth every bit of 2300. Thats actually pretty low, so you might be suspicious about that, take it to a mechanic and all that. If its Sahara edition, then its worth way more than 2300.
JNC995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2003, 06:30 AM   #5
rrclimber
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC995
If the only things wrong with it are what you listed, then it is worth every bit of 2300. Thats actually pretty low, so you might be suspicious about that, take it to a mechanic and all that. If its Sahara edition, then its worth way more than 2300.
I may be way off on this (please feel free to check my jeep history knowledge) but I don't think that even made a Sahara package for for the 87 YJ I don't think that they started with that until a couple years later. My guess would be that any mods that were done to it were custom and not part of a package. I have an 87 YJ myself and if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten something later like after 91. What everyone else is telling you is true the tranny sucks the carb sucks and the frame rots right out from under you. If you want to wheel that thing you will have to replace pretty much the whole drivetrain. I would save your cash for a little while longer and get something with a ax-15 tranny and fuel injection.

95', 4.0, 4" Rusty Lift, 33" Pro Comp AT's, Quick Release II Mirror, Pavement ends flip-top, Alpine deck, bazooka amp, sony 10" sub.

My Jeep
rrclimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.