YJ Wont Turn Over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Wont Turn Over

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
yj93aj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Wont Turn Over

93 yj 4.0. After off roading for a good two hours this past sunday my jeep decided to quit on me. My gauges were all fine except for one, GAS. I was in first gear going about 15 mph when it just shut down on me. At first i thought i might have stalled out but nope low gas. I got pulled to a gas station and filled him up. he started up fine and all was well but once i took off and hit about 2 rpm's he just shut off. This happened a good 4x's. I ended up getting towed home. I tested the psi on the fuel rail and it was 30!. Any ideas of what could cause this to happen? Btw i replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel filter, last year. I bought a new fuel pump today hoping it would start up but nothing.

yj93aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is your check engine light on? Have you checked for codes? This would be the first place to look.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
yj93aj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No check engine light. I got it to turn over yesterday i pressed on the gas and it built up pressure and pushed in the clutch and it started up but once i had it going i gave it gas to about 2 rpm's and it died. Didnt want to start up after that.
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93aj View Post
93 yj 4.0. After off roading for a good two hours this past sunday my jeep decided to quit on me. My gauges were all fine except for one, GAS. I was in first gear going about 15 mph when it just shut down on me. At first i thought i might have stalled out but nope low gas. I got pulled to a gas station and filled him up. he started up fine and all was well but once i took off and hit about 2 rpm's he just shut off. This happened a good 4x's. I ended up getting towed home. I tested the psi on the fuel rail and it was 30!. Any ideas of what could cause this to happen? Btw i replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel filter, last year. I bought a new fuel pump today hoping it would start up but nothing.
Did you leave the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail after you tried to start it up? I am thinking fuel issue, maybe clogged fuel filter. It is getting enough fuel to fire up but not enough to continue to run.

I would think that if it was electrical it probably would not fire up at all. But, I have been wrong a few times in my life.......

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Did you leave the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail after you tried to start it up? I am thinking fuel issue, maybe clogged fuel filter. It is getting enough fuel to fire up but not enough to continue to run.

I would think that if it was electrical it probably would not fire up at all. But, I have been wrong a few times in my life.......
^^Agreed. Sounds to be fuel related. To the OP,... Please tell me you have gas in the tank, not 1/4 as this is typically empty on a YJ.
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
yj93aj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so for the past few days I've been trying to figure out the issue and I cant. My tank is half full and im trying to start it will the fuel pressure gauge off the fuel rail. It cranks turns over for a sec and dies. I dont know what to do with my jeep
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you ran out of fuel you might have damaged your fuel pump, they get cooled and lubricated by pumping fuel through them.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't be surprised if you have a clogged filter , and a faulty pump . I've bought new pumps before that are bad
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
alexbranch95
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I have a 2.5L, all is working when I go to crank it except there is no power getting to the distributor to make fire, but this only happens when it sits out on hot days.
alexbranch95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
yj93aj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I just checked to see if I have spark and I dont. I replaced my 14 year old core and still nothing. Just cranks and doesnt turn. If I crank it and start to step on the gas the crank sound diminishes, if that makes any sense. (Lower sound of a crank)
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok so I just checked to see if I have spark and I dont. I replaced my 14 year old core and still nothing. Just cranks and doesnt turn. If I crank it and start to step on the gas the crank sound diminishes, if that makes any sense. (Lower sound of a crank)
Well, yes. The sound will change as you feed it air by stepping on the throttle. You have a fuel or spark problem that will likely only be solved by quality feedback to this forum.
O.K., no CEL light, but have you checked for codes???? You can have retrievable codes stored even though the CEL lamp is not presently lit.
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
yj93aj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay so I ended up replacing the pick up coil, rotor and the cap. It was mainly the coil, I would have never got to the problem if I did it all by myself. I would have a spark then lose it next time I would start up. I Also fixed my timing on it and now it runs amazing! Hopefully this post helps someone else out. Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay so I ended up replacing the pick up coil, rotor and the cap. It was mainly the coil, I would have never got to the problem if I did it all by myself. I would have a spark then lose it next time I would start up. I Also fixed my timing on it and now it runs amazing! Hopefully this post helps someone else out. Thanks for the help guys!
Good to hear that you got your Jeep running!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.