post #1 of Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
yj93aj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 74
YJ Wont Turn Over

93 yj 4.0. After off roading for a good two hours this past sunday my jeep decided to quit on me. My gauges were all fine except for one, GAS. I was in first gear going about 15 mph when it just shut down on me. At first i thought i might have stalled out but nope low gas. I got pulled to a gas station and filled him up. he started up fine and all was well but once i took off and hit about 2 rpm's he just shut off. This happened a good 4x's. I ended up getting towed home. I tested the psi on the fuel rail and it was 30!. Any ideas of what could cause this to happen? Btw i replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel filter, last year. I bought a new fuel pump today hoping it would start up but nothing.

yj93aj is offline  
post #2 of Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM
idaholtby
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Meridian
Posts: 2,563
Is your check engine light on? Have you checked for codes? This would be the first place to look.
idaholtby is offline  
post #3 of Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
yj93aj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 74
No check engine light. I got it to turn over yesterday i pressed on the gas and it built up pressure and pushed in the clutch and it started up but once i had it going i gave it gas to about 2 rpm's and it died. Didnt want to start up after that.
yj93aj is offline  
post #4 of Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93aj View Post
93 yj 4.0. After off roading for a good two hours this past sunday my jeep decided to quit on me. My gauges were all fine except for one, GAS. I was in first gear going about 15 mph when it just shut down on me. At first i thought i might have stalled out but nope low gas. I got pulled to a gas station and filled him up. he started up fine and all was well but once i took off and hit about 2 rpm's he just shut off. This happened a good 4x's. I ended up getting towed home. I tested the psi on the fuel rail and it was 30!. Any ideas of what could cause this to happen? Btw i replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel filter, last year. I bought a new fuel pump today hoping it would start up but nothing.
Did you leave the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail after you tried to start it up? I am thinking fuel issue, maybe clogged fuel filter. It is getting enough fuel to fire up but not enough to continue to run.

I would think that if it was electrical it probably would not fire up at all. But, I have been wrong a few times in my life.......

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #5 of Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
idaholtby
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Meridian
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Did you leave the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail after you tried to start it up? I am thinking fuel issue, maybe clogged fuel filter. It is getting enough fuel to fire up but not enough to continue to run.

I would think that if it was electrical it probably would not fire up at all. But, I have been wrong a few times in my life.......
^^Agreed. Sounds to be fuel related. To the OP,... Please tell me you have gas in the tank, not 1/4 as this is typically empty on a YJ.
idaholtby is offline  
post #6 of Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
yj93aj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 74
Alright so for the past few days I've been trying to figure out the issue and I cant. My tank is half full and im trying to start it will the fuel pressure gauge off the fuel rail. It cranks turns over for a sec and dies. I dont know what to do with my jeep
yj93aj is offline  
post #7 of Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Drix
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Orting
Posts: 895
If you ran out of fuel you might have damaged your fuel pump, they get cooled and lubricated by pumping fuel through them.

95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline  
post #8 of Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,366
I wouldn't be surprised if you have a clogged filter , and a faulty pump . I've bought new pumps before that are bad

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #9 of Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM
alexbranch95
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincolnton
Posts: 18
Alright I have a 2.5L, all is working when I go to crank it except there is no power getting to the distributor to make fire, but this only happens when it sits out on hot days.
alexbranch95 is offline  
post #10 of Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
yj93aj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 74
Ok so I just checked to see if I have spark and I dont. I replaced my 14 year old core and still nothing. Just cranks and doesnt turn. If I crank it and start to step on the gas the crank sound diminishes, if that makes any sense. (Lower sound of a crank)
yj93aj is offline  
post #11 of Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 PM
idaholtby
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Meridian
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93aj View Post
Ok so I just checked to see if I have spark and I dont. I replaced my 14 year old core and still nothing. Just cranks and doesnt turn. If I crank it and start to step on the gas the crank sound diminishes, if that makes any sense. (Lower sound of a crank)
Well, yes. The sound will change as you feed it air by stepping on the throttle. You have a fuel or spark problem that will likely only be solved by quality feedback to this forum.
O.K., no CEL light, but have you checked for codes???? You can have retrievable codes stored even though the CEL lamp is not presently lit.
idaholtby is offline  
post #12 of Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
yj93aj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 74
Okay so I ended up replacing the pick up coil, rotor and the cap. It was mainly the coil, I would have never got to the problem if I did it all by myself. I would have a spark then lose it next time I would start up. I Also fixed my timing on it and now it runs amazing! Hopefully this post helps someone else out. Thanks for the help guys!
yj93aj is offline  
post #13 of Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93aj View Post
Okay so I ended up replacing the pick up coil, rotor and the cap. It was mainly the coil, I would have never got to the problem if I did it all by myself. I would have a spark then lose it next time I would start up. I Also fixed my timing on it and now it runs amazing! Hopefully this post helps someone else out. Thanks for the help guys!
Good to hear that you got your Jeep running!

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome