YJ wiring - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 09-03-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
YJ wiring

Sorry if I double posted this but I can't find it once I posted it,Newbie stupidity I guess.

Hello to all,this is my first post and question on my new project.
I purchase a 1992 TJ from a guy that started a retrofit rebuild but never finished it
It has spent many years in his garage so it is in really good shape both body and frame
What he did was take a 1992 running gear with the 4.0 and 5speed and put a 1987 Wrangler Islander body
on it,the wiring was taken from the 92 and installed in the 87 tub
Most of it so far has been fairly straight forward
I have been reading post after post and found wiring diagrams for the 92 at auto Zones site and have slowly traced out a few problems
My big thing right now is the jeep motor won't turn over with the key when in the start position
After studying the wiring drawings I found the starter circuit needs a ground back to the ecm and start relay by way of the neutral safety with
Problem is i have no wiring going back to the trans or speed indicator or the fuel pump
After checking wire colors I found a plug under the hood that has the correct colors so I seems there is a length of harness missing
Would anyone know where I could purchase this wiring and if indeed the wiring does run from under the hood back?
I know if I run a ground the the start relay the jeep will turn over with the key.
Once I get this figured out I will move on the the next issue
That is the wiring coming out of the front of the fuel rail
I have nowhere to plug it into and not sure where its headed
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 AM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!

1. 1992 is a YJ not a TJ.

2. The YJ's with manual transmission didn't come with a neutral safety switch.

3. I can't help much with the possibility of a missing harness, especially at this time of the night, but you could just run a ground wire so it will turn over until you get that portion figured out.
post #3 of 48 Old 09-04-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
neutral switch

What safe guards does the yj use to prevent it from being started in gear with the clutch out?
Im missing something I guess

Last edited by tpmx; 09-04-2017 at 01:29 PM.

post #4 of 48 Old 09-04-2017, 06:34 AM
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmx View Post
What safe guards does the tj use to prevent it from being started in gear with the clutch out?
Im missing something I guess
None, it will start in gear with clutch out

Not the sharpest bulb in the box....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
post #5 of 48 Old 09-04-2017, 08:05 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
None, it will start in gear with clutch out
^^^ The Gospel truth right there.

YJ's were built at the end of the age when men were men. Therefore we had no need for things like cutesy switches to prevent an inadvertent start. Either use the functionality of the feature to inch up in an extreme situation when the engine is stalled (Don't ask, but it works.), or simply put yer foot on the clutch pedal before you turn the key. (We won't go into the trac-bars that have filled many a trash can. Those were simply an unfortunate overlap of age to come.)
post #6 of 48 Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
wiring

Ok got that,Im looking for something thats not there.
If anyone has a 92 yj that can look where does the wiring come from that goes back to the
reverse switch,4wd indicator,speed sensor then on back to the fuel pump/sending unit come from?
This is my main issue right now.
My starter doesnt work unless I ground the starter relay so I need to find where it gets its ground from.
I get through these 2 issues I should have the main things ironed out
I have all the lights working and have had the motor running in short bursts just putting a bit of fuel in the intake
I get these 2 issues ironed out I can move on to the small things like brake lights,heater, defroster and windshield wipers
Thanks for the help so far
Wiring is a pain
post #7 of 48 Old 09-05-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
Any one know where I can find the wiring Harness that plugs into 10 pin connecter below the battery that runs under the jeep?
I looked all around and called numerous places too.
Cant yet locate one yet.
Im looking now for a non running donor jeep as it will have several small items I will need
post #8 of 48 Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry if I double posted this but I can't find it once I posted it,Newbie stupidity I guess.

Hello to all,this is my first post and question on my new project.
I purchase a 1992 TJ from a guy that started a retrofit rebuild but never finished it
It has spent many years in his garage so it is in really good shape both body and frame
What he did was take a 1992 running gear with the 4.0 and 5speed and put a 1987 Wrangler Islander body
on it,the wiring was taken from the 92 and installed in the 87 tub
Most of it so far has been fairly straight forward
I have been reading post after post and found wiring diagrams for the 92 at auto Zones site and have slowly traced out a few problems
My big thing right now is the jeep motor won't turn over with the key when in the start position
After studying the wiring drawings I found the starter circuit needs a ground back to the ecm and start relay by way of the neutral safety with
Problem is i have no wiring going back to the trans or speed indicator or the fuel pump
After checking wire colors I found a plug under the hood that has the correct colors so I seems there is a length of harness missing
Would anyone know where I could purchase this wiring and if indeed the wiring does run from under the hood back?
I know if I run a ground the the start relay the jeep will turn over with the key.
Once I get this figured out I will move on the the next issue
That is the wiring coming out of the front of the fuel rail
I have nowhere to plug it into and not sure where its headed
Thanks in advance
You need to add a ground for the starter to turn over. It is usually located on the dipstick bracket. That ground provides ground for the ASD relay, which in turn controls the starter relay, fuel relay and a few others but I am a bit foggy today so I may have missed one or three of them. If I can find a diagram of the starting circuit for the '92 YJ I'll post it.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #9 of 48 Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

I stand corrected! Spec out the attached wiring diagram. Note what is inside the red box.
Attached Thumbnails
92YJ STARTER CIRCUIT.JPG  

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #10 of 48 Old 09-06-2017, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
wiring

Thanks Laybackman,that was exactly what I needed.
I ran a temp ground from the blk/wht pin on the plug and the starter works
I knew I was missing this ground just wasn't seeing where it came from
I was looking for a safety switch on the tranny that grounded the circuit in neutral but as stated from others these jeeps will start in gear
I just need to find the wiring harness that plugs in at the firewall and runs to the tranny and fuel pump
That seems to be easier said then done
Oh well,one more piece of the puzzle solved
THANKS!
post #11 of 48 Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
wiring

Heres the plug I need the harness for
The second pin down on the left is the blk/wht that I grounded
Attached Images

post #12 of 48 Old 09-06-2017, 07:07 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just sent you a Private Message with a link that may help.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 48 Old 09-06-2017, 11:45 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Laybackman,that was exactly what I needed.
I ran a temp ground from the blk/wht pin on the plug and the starter works
I knew I was missing this ground just wasn't seeing where it came from
I was looking for a safety switch on the tranny that grounded the circuit in neutral but as stated from others these jeeps will start in gear
I just need to find the wiring harness that plugs in at the firewall and runs to the tranny and fuel pump
That seems to be easier said then done
Oh well,one more piece of the puzzle solved
THANKS!
MORE INFO: since this rig is a stick there is no NSS switch NOR is there the harness that plugs into the NSS switch IIRC.

post #14 of 48 Old 09-06-2017, 11:55 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Heres the plug I need the harness for
The second pin down on the left is the blk/wht that I grounded

Can you name the wire colors in each pin?

I do not have a picture of a 92 harness plugs but that layout looks like the layout for a 95 Daytime Running Lights module!
Attached Images

post #15 of 48 Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
tpmx

Garage
Heres a drawing of the plug,this is the female end thats on the firewall harness between the battery and and rear of engine
Sorry not the best drawing but should serve the purpose
I do realize there is no safety switch on the shifter or any where else
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.