YJ Winter Driving - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Winter Driving

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
kodiakkris400
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Like shadowulf said. Take it to a parking lot and get into it. You can teach yourself how to control a slide and what not. Personally I love my yj in the snow. I had a stock one last winter and here in Maryland we had ALOT of snow (atleast for around here). I believe the biggest one was over 28 inches, and my stock yj loved it. Drive slow and be cautious. All it takes is a little common sence.

kodiakkris400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #17
RavenJinx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We have weak winters with slippery roads.
Just drive carefully and keep some extra distance to the car in front of you.

I also had to manually engage the front disconnect lying in the snow last winter
Turned out I had collected some water and the ring was frozen to the outer axle.
An oil-change worked wonders.
Dutch Jeepclub member #680
RavenJinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have been driving without ABS for 30 years and it has never been an issue. When I drive the wifes Durango in the snow I find it doesn't stop any quicker on ice than a vehicle without ABS. I have driven across country 900+ miles in a major snowstorm in a 89 YJ and did better than most of the other cars on the road.
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about your tires If your driving on the road and want to cut down to the pavement you don't want wide tires. Wheeling in the snow however you want wider tires to ride on top of the snow. If you riding on packed snow on the road it don't make a bit of difference what tires you have because your getting crap for traction anyway. As long as you can get it out on to the road your ok.
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #20
daverubino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-YJ View Post
I'm concerned with these tires, they aren't incredibly wide and with the raise that's what I'm concerned about.

I was doing some looking on here last night, someone mentioned a good point about the lack of ABS playing a factor on the YJ as well in winter. Time will tell, but I was considering selling and buying a Chevy Canyon 4x4 for winter.

Hercules Tire & Rubber Company (My Tires)
Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.
daverubino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
k2enemy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My YJ did great in the rediculous amount of snow we got in Virginia this past winter. 3.5'' of lift and 33'' Procomp M/Ts. If you're worried about the tires, get snow tires or something like BFG A/T. Tires with large voids do really well in maybe 4+ inches of snow but aren't that great in light stuff. The A/Ts should pack snow and be good in most depths. My brother just moved back to VA from Colorado. He had BFG A/Ts on his XJ and he said they did great in all kinds of snow.
k2enemy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had to drive my Tracker to work once last year in a snowstorm because my car was in the shop. I found it to be more difficult than driving the front wheel drive car with ABS would have been. It wasn't snowing enough to necessitate 4wd all the time and it did slide a bit when stopping. I'd have liked to buy a JK to get the ABS and traction control but a TJ was more in my budget and more what I really wanted.
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #23
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lighter 4x4s tend to drift and spin easier than larger, longer, heavier vehicles.
Check your tires, look into getting them siped, it helps some tires and does nothing for others.
I've had 4x4s with and without ABS. ABS is nice in the "OH *****" moments. But if you are aware and careful, those are far and few between.
I've driven in "Sierra cement", Wyoming drifts and New England Blizzards and ice storms. The best thing in any of those situations is know what your vehicle will likely do and how it will perform. The only sure way to know is practice/testing.
When I lived higher in the mountains, the locals would get together some evening after a good snowing and "goof off" in the local supermarket parking lot. You get to know each other and know what each others rig was capable of. You also could get some tips on local conditions from the "ol' timers".

Sell your YJ? One of my biggest regrets was selling my '66 bronco. I will never be able replace that rig. My jeep "Pedro" is special in its own way to me. And as my wife has said, it ain't leaving on its tires when that day comes. As someone else said, a YJ's true destiny is to become the parts pile for another build.

Last edited by shadowulf; 09-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Added a few comments
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
QPkid
1990 YJ Wrangler 

HAHA i cant wait to drive my 90 yj in the winter too. I have 32 all terrains and they are on the aggressive side but what about no lockers. both open diffs front and back.
QPkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
JW-YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone! My past two cars were a 03 Benz AWD and 07 BMW AWD and they were both tanks in the winter. I got drive pedal to the metal around a corner and the systems in them (especially the Merc) did an amazing Job. It's been so many years, I feel like I've forgot how to drive in the winter 'really'. I think going back to the old ways will be fun at first, and I will probably only take out the Jeep on the really bad days. I use to take out any new car at first snow and push it to the limits so I could see how it reacted, and I was always safe. The area that I live in is full of BAD drivers for a multitude of reasons. There were 3 accidents on the way to work today because of some rain!?!
JW-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverubino
Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.
Thats deep man thats like Jeep bible. Kind of like the Jeep search for nirvana that can't be found on iTunes.
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
Gearhead231
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wait for winters while 3 ft of snow. I run my 4" rc lift with 33 maxxis bighorns. I never have any trouble. I find myself towing alot of cars who cant make it up hills and stuff. The only problem you may have is heating. My jeep gets HHHHOOOOOTTTT. Id say even if you dont drive it every day during the winter, deffinately take it out in snow storms. Not only is it great bonding time. Its great experience and you can learn your YJs limits. Besides, Snow bogging is fun!
Cherokee Creto-This is my cherokee... there are many like it but this one is mine, I will love my cheroke form the day of ownership untill the day it dies, I promise to modd it and beat it after said mods... i promise to treat all other cherokee owners as family even though they are complete strangers.... and promise to jeep on forever
Gearhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #28
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2enemy View Post
My YJ did great in the rediculous amount of snow we got in Virginia this past winter. 3.5'' of lift and 33'' Procomp M/Ts. If you're worried about the tires, get snow tires or something like BFG A/T. Tires with large voids do really well in maybe 4+ inches of snow but aren't that great in light stuff. The A/Ts should pack snow and be good in most depths. My brother just moved back to VA from Colorado. He had BFG A/Ts on his XJ and he said they did great in all kinds of snow.
While voids to have something to do with traction in the lighter stuff, siping is more important IMO. I have large(ish) void mudders with factory siping and they were awesome on snow pack last winter.

We had 50+ inches by middle of February.

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #29
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I drive both a 4x4 Toyota Tundra and my YJ in the winter, only thing I find with the Jeep is when the back end starts to skid out in the snow its very tricky to bring it back under control, even in 4wd... of course it can be fun to spin like a top . I suspect the very short wheelbase is to blame. Otherwise its a very capable snow buggy...

ps: dress warm!

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #30
steve20
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im excited too. I have a 94 4 banger on 31s bfg ats with 3.5 lift. Not sure how they will do because i can kick the rear end out now in the rain like nobodys business.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
steve20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.