YJ Windshield hinges! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Windshield hinges!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-27-2002, 08:02 AM   #1
Jeepguy3401

YJ Windshield hinges!

Well I finally got new windshield hinges on my Jeep. BY THE WAY: If anyone plans on doing the switch on there YJ or maybe this is true for other models too. THERE ARE NUTS ON THE BACK OF THE BOLTS FOR THE HINGE. I didn't ralise this(Yes, I'm stupid, I know). I wasted $50 on the Sears Crafstman bolt extractor only to find that it wasn't under the normal Craftsman "You break it we replace it" warranty. HOWEVER I went to Autozone yesterday and found not only the same thing but it had more pieces with a lifetime warranty, FOR $15!!!!! Same thing with the torx bit tools. NOTICE: anyone buying the torx bit tools, DO NOT BUY LISLE BRAND. They are junk, mine broke the first time I used 'em, and they were $30, I found a set, not quite as complete, but with a lifetime warranty for like $12. Since I have had the hinges on they have hardly been visible! I've had the windsield down for 2 days now! Said and done this cost me $200. $80 for the hinge and $120 for the labor from my mechanic friend. Worth every penny. That was a pain in the butt to install! Now if I could just do something about my seat....

'87 YJ,4.2L 6cyl(rebuilding someday) On 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, (unlifted, but big lift in store, when I get some $$$)upgraded clutch and brakes, broken loud stereo.(Can't imagine how that....COUGH!..WATER....happened. Haven't used a top doors or windshield in uh,.....hmm.... since midwinter? That sounds right.
Jeepguy3401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2002, 08:24 PM   #2
Jeepguy3401

yeah buddy! Anyone else do this?
'87 YJ,4.2L 6cyl(rebuilding someday) On 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, (unlifted, but big lift in store, when I get some $$$)upgraded clutch and brakes, broken loud stereo.(Can't imagine how that....COUGH!..WATER....happened. Haven't used a top doors or windshield in uh,.....hmm.... since midwinter? That sounds right.
Unread 06-01-2002, 09:06 PM   #3
Jeep Man

Sounds like a adventure!
Unread 06-02-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
West

Are YJ hinges always this hard to replace? $120 in labor from a mechanic "friend" What do I need to look for when I replace mine?
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 09:08 AM   #5
lostboy

Hey Guys....I replaced mine and I learned....lol..I had to drill most of the bolts out.The screws just stripped or the torx bit broke...finally bought torx bits made for an impact wrench...bought individual sizes..they last long time..no need to buy whole kits...when you install the new ones...coat them with some loctite blue
Unread 06-04-2002, 09:36 AM   #6
JeeperJay

Most of my hinge bolts are just spinning when I try to take them out. The ones that aren't spinning are breaking off my torx bits! I'm assuming that the weld nuts behind the bolts are just breaking loose. Is there anyway I can get to those nuts without taking the dash out?
Unread 06-04-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
Plink

Do you have to take out the dash to get the hinges off? I want to paint mine but it sounds like it's too much effort.
[B]Need new front and rear bumpers[/B]
[B]HAM: KB3JQS[/B]
Plink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2002, 12:15 PM   #8
JeeperJay

If everything is working correctly you should just be able unbolt them from the outside. But from what I've been hearing its usually not so simple. It looks like I'm gonna have to take my dash out to get to those weld nuts but I'm hoping there is some sort of trick to get them out some other way. I'm for sure not paying $120 to have somebody else do it
Unread 06-04-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
SnowMan

With my hinges, the bolts in the back wern't welded, the way I got those off was by sticking my hand up behind the speaker with a long wrench locating the bolt then having a friend unscrew the bolt. Some of my screws had to be drilled out, some ends are still stuck to the speakers magnet, they are a serious pain, took me a couple days to do them, but they look mighty fine. If the new hinges don't fit well I think this is usual, I have talked to others and they agreed, its to bad but I did buy steel horse before I found this sight and heard what crap they are and I can't agree more, thank god I work at a place where a machine shop is!
Unread 06-04-2002, 07:52 PM   #10
Jeepguy3401

Wow alot of response suddenly. I thought maybe this was maybe a problem only I was having. $120 was worth it the first time. But not now that I know how to do it.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
terryjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i cut my hinges off around the bolts, with a 4 inch cutting wheel.
then pushed the bolts right through. first one took 1 hr.
second one took15 minutes. this is the way to go.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
terryjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i cut my hinges off around the bolts, with a 4 inch cutting wheel.
then pushed the bolts right through. first one took 1 hr.
second one took15 minutes. this is the way to go.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im thinking about buying some mirrors that mount to the windshield frame. Will these be as much of a hassle to install?
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Now THAT'S some archive hunting!!!!

Reviving an 11 year old thread!!!!

As for the topic, replacing windshield hinges can be a real nightmare, especially if the PO painted over the bolt heads. An ounce of prevent is worth 15 pounds of cure on this project. Taking a few minutes to look around with a flashlight to see what's on the back side of your bolts (welded nuts, nylon nuts or regular nuts) will help a lot. Also, PB Blaster is your friend. Use him until he can't be used no more.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
JMAC90YJ

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had to replace my windshield frame last summer, my bolts came out ok, but I did have to get my big hands behind the dash and remove the goo pucky that was covering the nuts. I put the mirror brackets on the hinges while doing it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.