YJ windshield frame gasket mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ windshield frame gasket mod

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 07-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
captnrich
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ windshield frame gasket mod

I am about to swap out my windshield frame. It has a few small rust spots at the bottom caused by the gasket trapping water against it. it's not really that bad but I'm painting the Jeep next week so I might as well. I was wondering if anyone has cut or modified the gasket is some way so that it will not trap water. I remember that my dad had cut the top part of the gasket on his old CJ7 and I don't remember any negitive effects but that was 20 years ago. My other thought is to run a bead of silicone along the top edge of the gasket to keep the water out. Any ideas?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, SPEND A TON OF MONEY TO UPGRADE IT!

Last edited by captnrich; 07-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
captnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. Buy your new windshield frame. Paint it and install it. Then call you insurance company and let them know that your windshield is scratched. They will send someone out to your home or job to fix it and replace glass and seal completely..

No charge and it does not go against your insurance.. Florida law. Then leave it alone.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
dtn8tr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Yes. Buy your new windshield frame. Paint it and install it. Then call you insurance company and let them know that your windshield is scratched. They will send someone out to your home or job to fix it and replace glass and seal completely..

No charge and it does not go against your insurance.. Florida law. Then leave it alone.
Aaaahh...Pasin...I think that he is talking about the cowl seal between the windshield frame and the tub, not the seal around the windshield. They aren't going to do anything to the cowl seal with a complaint on a scratched windshield.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Small bead of silicone worked for me.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

But then... How do you fold the windshield for "proper" topless driving?
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
captnrich
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtn8tr View Post
Aaaahh...Pasin...I think that he is talking about the cowl seal between the windshield frame and the tub, not the seal around the windshield. They aren't going to do anything to the cowl seal with a complaint on a scratched windshield.
That's correct. The cowl/frame seal.
And yes it is Florida law that a scratched or cracked windshield is covered by insurance. NO, I will not scam the insurance company ( no matter how much they deserve it. )

Thanks, Couch, I'll try the silcone.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, SPEND A TON OF MONEY TO UPGRADE IT!
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrich View Post
That's correct. The cowl/frame seal.
And yes it is Florida law that a scratched or cracked windshield is covered by insurance. NO, I will not scam the insurance company ( no matter how much they deserve it. )

Thanks, Couch, I'll try the silcone.

It is not a scam. I was not talking about scamming the insurance companies. This is a perk that only Florida has. I will bet a dollar to a dime that you do have a scratched windshield on your Yj right now, we all do. and/or when you take out your glass you most likely will break the windshield.

Florida is particular about having perfect windshields so they made it a law many years ago that all auto insurance companies must comply 100 percent to. Free windshields as long as nobody broke your windshield on you. Scratches included. No deductible, and does not go against you. You did say that you were replacing the frame , Right?

I may have sounded a bit like I was trying to put something over but my intent was to inform another Floridian of a very good Florida perk. When I replaced my windshield on my Yj they also replaced all of the rubber around the glass.

This Florida law does not cover any other windows only the windshield.

Last edited by rustywrangler; 07-30-2010 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Cleaning house
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
But then... How do you fold the windshield for "proper" topless driving?
The small bead I'm talking about goes inside the upper lip of the gasket so water cannot fall down behind it. So it really doesn't matter which position the windshield is it because it's not affected by the movement.

However I would suggest putting a small bead of silicone under the gasket as well. I only do this in the winter and it's relatively infrequent that I have my windshield folded, so ruining the seal isn't a big deal.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

While it may be a Florida law, it still reeks of fraud. Since this is a national/international forum and YMMV in your state. The idea of having an insurance company replace your glass in the context of Pasinbuys post. Provides way to much incentive to the less scrupulous folk

I stand by my comments..............
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
ShowStopper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm getting ready to paint my rig. My winshield is chipped. Talked to the local glass company, they said to go ahead and remove it, do my paint work and they would take care of the rest. (jsawduste) Instead of fighting the injustice of "windshield fraud" in Florida, maybe your time would be better spent saving whales, solving the homeless problem, protecting our borders, cleaning up the oil spill, etc...
ShowStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
captnrich
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As far as I'm concerned, Pasinby, no harm, no foul. I understood your comments. I did, in fact, have my windshield replaced yast year for free, under the law, after the lawn mower blasted a stone into it. But now, since the glass is good, I'll try to change it into the new frame.
Let's end the hostilities.....
Thanks,

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
While it may be a Florida law, it still reeks of fraud. Since this is a national/international forum and YMMV in your state. The idea of having an insurance company replace your glass in the context of Pasinbuys post. Provides way to much incentive to the less scrupulous folk

who in their right mind would stick up for an insurance company anyway...they are the crooks.

You stick by your comments, you seem to be makin friends quickly, lol.

To the OP, I think you were correct with your original thoughts!
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There was no fraud and I take offence to you for saying it. I also take offence to your name calling in your original post as this is not a place for it at all.

I have no idea what you are talking about in your above post, I was only talking about a Florida law, and informing others in Florida.

I gave you a thumbs down on your original post, I hope every one reading it does the same.

Last edited by pasinbuy; 07-28-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I as well have no idea what your point is in stating that this is a national/international forum... That has absolutly nothing to do with you questioning the ethics of someone on this forum who is complying to STATE LAW. No mater what context you put it in, Floridians are REQUIRED to replace their windshield if there is ANY DAMAGE WHAT-SO-EVER to it... My 1984 chevy pickup had a hairline crack in the top right corner when I moved here... I was given a $50.00 fix-it-ticket demanding I have my insurance company replace the glass. It was only cracked because I dropped a piece of re-barb on it a few years back. So if I am to understand you correctly, by me replacing my front windshield through my insurance as required by state law... in order to comply with a tickett I was given by law enforcement... I am a deceptive and fraudulent individual?

You sir have no idea what you are talking about, IF THERE IS EVEN A SCRATCH ON THE WINDSHILED we, here in Florida can be given a ticket for obstruction of view (however unlikely in the case of a scratched up windshield, still possible all the same). The fact that this is a national/international forum has absolutly nothign to do with two floridians giving local advise on how to replace his windshiled so that

A: he can fix the rust and paint it... and
B: he can stay in compliance with florida law that the front winshiled remain in presteen condition.

So again, if you disagree with the LAW, and think that THE LAW opens the system up to insurance fraud... Then by all means, feel free to critisize THE LAW. Don't come on here directly and personally insulting someone who is complete compliance with state law. Critisize the law, not the people who obey it.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #15
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

You are funny. The JF Admin gave me a Thumbs Up.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.