Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ windshield frame gasket mod

6K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  rustywrangler 
#1 · (Edited)
I am about to swap out my windshield frame. It has a few small rust spots at the bottom caused by the gasket trapping water against it. it's not really that bad but I'm painting the Jeep next week so I might as well. I was wondering if anyone has cut or modified the gasket is some way so that it will not trap water. I remember that my dad had cut the top part of the gasket on his old CJ7 and I don't remember any negitive effects but that was 20 years ago. My other thought is to run a bead of silicone along the top edge of the gasket to keep the water out. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Yes. Buy your new windshield frame. Paint it and install it. Then call you insurance company and let them know that your windshield is scratched. They will send someone out to your home or job to fix it and replace glass and seal completely..

No charge and it does not go against your insurance.. Florida law. Then leave it alone.

#3 ·
Aaaahh...Pasin:confused:...I think that he is talking about the cowl seal between the windshield frame and the tub, not the seal around the windshield. They aren't going to do anything to the cowl seal with a complaint on a scratched windshield.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
The small bead I'm talking about goes inside the upper lip of the gasket so water cannot fall down behind it. So it really doesn't matter which position the windshield is it because it's not affected by the movement.

However I would suggest putting a small bead of silicone under the gasket as well. I only do this in the winter and it's relatively infrequent that I have my windshield folded, so ruining the seal isn't a big deal.

#9 ·
While it may be a Florida law, it still reeks of fraud. Since this is a national/international forum and YMMV in your state. The idea of having an insurance company replace your glass in the context of Pasinbuys post. Provides way to much incentive to the less scrupulous folk

I stand by my comments..............

#12 ·
who in their right mind would stick up for an insurance company anyway...they are the crooks.:nono:

You stick by your comments, you seem to be makin friends quickly, lol.

To the OP, I think you were correct with your original thoughts!:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Well I'm getting ready to paint my rig. My winshield is chipped. Talked to the local glass company, they said to go ahead and remove it, do my paint work and they would take care of the rest. (jsawduste) Instead of fighting the injustice of "windshield fraud" in Florida, maybe your time would be better spent saving whales, solving the homeless problem, protecting our borders, cleaning up the oil spill, etc...

#11 ·
As far as I'm concerned, Pasinby, no harm, no foul. I understood your comments. I did, in fact, have my windshield replaced yast year for free, under the law, after the lawn mower blasted a stone into it. But now, since the glass is good, I'll try to change it into the new frame.
Let's end the hostilities.....
Thanks,

#18 · (Edited)
I find that hard to believe when you call fellow JF people

dummies like you who defraud insurance companies

Dumb idiot
by reading between lines in my comment that are not there and name calling.

If a JF Administrator gave you a thumbs up they did not see your comment above. I understand this Forum to be not personal in any way and what you did to be wrong.

Let alone your understanding of Florida law................. Think what you want!

Read the next post by Apollo12227. Your Thumbs up was a mistake..

#20 ·
I believe that Florida also requires Cadillacs driven by folks over the age of 80 with wraparound sunglasses to remain in the left lane at 20 mph under the limit with the left blinker on.

OK, just trying to lighten things up.

Mr. OP, perhaps you came off overly self-righteous; I mean, come one, look at what you wrote. It's OK to disagree with a statement but there is no reason to criticize the person.

#21 ·
I believe that Florida also requires Cadillacs driven by folks over the age of 80 with wraparound sunglasses to remain in the left lane at 20 mph under the limit with the left blinker on.
That has changed, they now go 25 mph. We take what we can get.:highfive:

The rest has stayed the same and you forgot one more thing. In Miami they have blue hair and their eyes just make it over the steering wheel.

#23 ·
Back on topic folks. Lets keep it civil and down the right path here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.