Yj Will NOT Start. Need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj Will NOT Start. Need help!

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 09-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Will NOT Start. Need help!

Alrighty. I have a 1991 YJ 2.5l 4 cylinder. I did a trans swap which included a starter swap. Now it won't start. It won't crank at all. The starters good. Batteries good. Fuses & relays good. The thick power cable to starter has 12v to it. The small solenoid wire when keys turned does not though! Any ideas by chance? I'm stumbled by this and really need the jeep up. I'm guessing ignition switch or something is up? Any ideas would be helpful. It's a 5 speed manual.

1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok did you swap auto to manual or manual to manual or manual to auto? If it was auto to manual try grounding pin 30 on the PCM

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059
ok did you swap auto to manual or manual to manual or manual to auto? If it was auto to manual try grounding pin 30 on the PCM
Manual to manual.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
Alrighty. I have a 1991 YJ 2.5l 4 cylinder. I did a trans swap which included a starter swap. Now it won't start. It won't crank at all. The starters good. Batteries good. Fuses & relays good. The thick power cable to starter has 12v to it. The small solenoid wire when keys turned does not though! Any ideas by chance? I'm stumbled by this and really need the jeep up. I'm guessing ignition switch or something is up? Any ideas would be helpful. It's a 5 speed manual.
Check the 40AMP fuse in the Power Distribution Center which is in front of your battery. If it is good, then swap out the starter relay with the horn relay. Beep the horn and try to start it up. If the horn works the starter relay was good. Last but not least turn the ignition key to the ON position then jump the two terminals with a screwdriver to see if it starts pulling the screwdriver away as soon as it does so you disengage the starter solenoid.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

Check the 40AMP fuse in the Power Distribution Center which is in front of your battery. If it is good, then swap out the starter relay with the horn relay. Beep the horn and try to start it up. If the horn works the starter relay was good. Last but not least turn the ignition key to the ON position then jump the two terminals with a screwdriver to see if it starts pulling the screwdriver away as soon as it does so you disengage the starter solenoid.
The relays good. I haven't tried the screwdriver trick. But if that works what would be next?
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The relays good. I haven't tried the screwdriver trick. But if that works what would be next?
Maybe the ignition module on the firewall is NG?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

Maybe the ignition module on the firewall is NG?
Firewall on drivers or passenger side?
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Firewall on drivers or passenger side?
IIRC it is a starter relay actually under the battery on the right side of the engine compartment. See if the wire from the starter solenoid goes up to it. You can jump the relay there with the ignition in the ON position to start it up also.

Unread 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
IIRC it is a starter relay actually under the battery on the right side of the engine compartment. See if the wire from the starter solenoid goes up to it. You can jump the relay there with the ignition in the ON position to start it up also.
As Laybackman said, I would check the starter relay. I had this issue on the hwy with my previous Jeep... I went from driving 60 to nothing at all and she wouldnt start back up. It ended up being the relay. I am pretty sure the 91 still has it, although I think in 92 or 93 they did away with it??? Maybe??

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its the harness that you have. You probably dont have the nuetral saftey switch jumperd. Deal with the harness issue in your other thread and it will probably take care of this issue.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Its the harness that you have. You probably dont have the nuetral saftey switch jumperd. Deal with the harness issue in your other thread and it will probably take care of this issue.
I figured the harness out today. Haven't hooked it up yet. But I will tomorrow. But there's something behind my battery. Funny looking square thing that says protective something on it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.