Yj Will NOT Start. Need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Yj Will NOT Start. Need help!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Reply
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Shoelessboi
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KALAMAZOO, MI
Posts: 1,181
Yj Will NOT Start. Need help!

Alrighty. I have a 1991 YJ 2.5l 4 cylinder. I did a trans swap which included a starter swap. Now it won't start. It won't crank at all. The starters good. Batteries good. Fuses & relays good. The thick power cable to starter has 12v to it. The small solenoid wire when keys turned does not though! Any ideas by chance? I'm stumbled by this and really need the jeep up. I'm guessing ignition switch or something is up? Any ideas would be helpful. It's a 5 speed manual.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
:The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Mark05059
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: quechee Vermont
Posts: 4,325
ok did you swap auto to manual or manual to manual or manual to auto? If it was auto to manual try grounding pin 30 on the PCM
__________________
1998 ZJ 5.2 Auto

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Shoelessboi
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KALAMAZOO, MI
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059
ok did you swap auto to manual or manual to manual or manual to auto? If it was auto to manual try grounding pin 30 on the PCM
Manual to manual.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
:The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
Alrighty. I have a 1991 YJ 2.5l 4 cylinder. I did a trans swap which included a starter swap. Now it won't start. It won't crank at all. The starters good. Batteries good. Fuses & relays good. The thick power cable to starter has 12v to it. The small solenoid wire when keys turned does not though! Any ideas by chance? I'm stumbled by this and really need the jeep up. I'm guessing ignition switch or something is up? Any ideas would be helpful. It's a 5 speed manual.
Check the 40AMP fuse in the Power Distribution Center which is in front of your battery. If it is good, then swap out the starter relay with the horn relay. Beep the horn and try to start it up. If the horn works the starter relay was good. Last but not least turn the ignition key to the ON position then jump the two terminals with a screwdriver to see if it starts pulling the screwdriver away as soon as it does so you disengage the starter solenoid.
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Shoelessboi
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KALAMAZOO, MI
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

Check the 40AMP fuse in the Power Distribution Center which is in front of your battery. If it is good, then swap out the starter relay with the horn relay. Beep the horn and try to start it up. If the horn works the starter relay was good. Last but not least turn the ignition key to the ON position then jump the two terminals with a screwdriver to see if it starts pulling the screwdriver away as soon as it does so you disengage the starter solenoid.
The relays good. I haven't tried the screwdriver trick. But if that works what would be next?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
:The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
The relays good. I haven't tried the screwdriver trick. But if that works what would be next?
Maybe the ignition module on the firewall is NG?
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Shoelessboi
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KALAMAZOO, MI
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

Maybe the ignition module on the firewall is NG?
Firewall on drivers or passenger side?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
:The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
Firewall on drivers or passenger side?
IIRC it is a starter relay actually under the battery on the right side of the engine compartment. See if the wire from the starter solenoid goes up to it. You can jump the relay there with the ignition in the ON position to start it up also.
__________________
Chicks dig me.....Fish fear me

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
jaycal3
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: , Ct
Posts: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
IIRC it is a starter relay actually under the battery on the right side of the engine compartment. See if the wire from the starter solenoid goes up to it. You can jump the relay there with the ignition in the ON position to start it up also.
As Laybackman said, I would check the starter relay. I had this issue on the hwy with my previous Jeep... I went from driving 60 to nothing at all and she wouldnt start back up. It ended up being the relay. I am pretty sure the 91 still has it, although I think in 92 or 93 they did away with it??? Maybe??
__________________
93 YJ, 6 cyl,3.5" BDS,1" Prothane BL,1/2" booms

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 15,153
Its the harness that you have. You probably dont have the nuetral saftey switch jumperd. Deal with the harness issue in your other thread and it will probably take care of this issue.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Shoelessboi
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: KALAMAZOO, MI
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Its the harness that you have. You probably dont have the nuetral saftey switch jumperd. Deal with the harness issue in your other thread and it will probably take care of this issue.
I figured the harness out today. Haven't hooked it up yet. But I will tomorrow. But there's something behind my battery. Funny looking square thing that says protective something on it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm View Post
:The fact you even asked this question makes me want to punch myself in the face.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.