YJ vs Early Bronco. ???s from a Bronco Fan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ vs Early Bronco. ???s from a Bronco Fan

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
m1a convert

YJ vs Early Bronco. ???s from a Bronco Fan

I grew up in the Moab area and had an Early Bronco. I am very familiar with them. I am now thinking of buying a Wrangler (91-93 vintage)

Here's the question.

I figure I can pick up a Wrangler for about $1500 less than a comparable Early Bronco. After doing an 8.8 axle swap I should have about the same amount of money into each rig. So we will consider price to be equal and the axles to be equivalant.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of each vehicle?

This is what I can come up with:

YJ is fuel injected, Bronco is not
Bronco has a better approach angle.
Jeep has more accesories available and cheaper parts.
Jeep will be about 20 years newer.

How do the breakover angles compare?
What about wheel base?
How well does a YJ articulate with revolvers, Z-Shackles, SOA and enough lift to clear 35s compared to the spring suspension of the Early Bronco?

How about ease of installing lower gearing in the t-case?

What else should I be weighing into the equation?

m1a convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
demoguru

I am a ford dealer and (or I should say my parents are and I work for them now that they are retired) I have wanted an early bronco for years. However I finally cave in and bough a jeep. a 90 wrangler. The one and only reason I purchased this unit is because of the availability and price of parts. Just like having an old chevy.......you go to napa and they have everything in stock.
demoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
m1a convert

Have you ever seen the two four wheel the same rockcrawling trail?
m1a convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a convert

Here's the question.

I figure I can pick up a Wrangler for about $1500 less than a comparable Early Bronco. After doing an 8.8 axle swap I should have about the same amount of money into each rig. So we will consider price to be equal and the axles to be equivalant.

?
You already answered that one.

You also asked:

YJ is fuel injected, Bronco is not

Great plus.

Bronco has a better approach angle.

Not necessarily, depending on what is done with each.

Jeep has more accesories available and cheaper parts.
Jeep will be about 20 years newer.

You answered both again.

How do the breakover angles compare?

You can't compare these unless you know the necessary info of both vehicles and what has been done with them for these measurements. There is a formula.

What about wheel base?

Jeep is shorter, works for some types of wheeling better no so on others. What are your plans to consider this question.

How well does a YJ articulate with revolvers, Z-Shackles, SOA and enough lift to clear 35s compared to the spring suspension of the Early Bronco?

If you can buy (you might have to customize) parts comparable for the Bronco you can't compare.

How about ease of installing lower gearing in the t-case?

Mine is quite easy, I have no experience with the t-case of a Bronco.
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
broncoheaven
1998 XJ Cherokee 

go for the bronco its a ford and if you find one with a 170 or 200 i6 still get the low end torque and 22 miles per gallon on 33s and will have a 40 year motor miles dont mean much with the i 6s just bought my 2nd eb and couldnt be happier i do own a xj as well still rather have the eb
broncoheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
broncoheaven
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i will say that jeeps are hard to kill besides the water pump lol 3 jeeps everyone needed a water pump at 100 k my 72 bronco is on it orig everything but carb rebuild and i bet shes pushin 300k miles
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Peltboy25
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you like a manual trans, Bronco shifter is in the column. Nobody wants that. I know it can be modified, but there ya go. I'd personally kill for an early Bronco with a 302 and an auto. I just love 'em. But there are a lot fewer of them than Jeeps out there.
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
jeepin64
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yj yj yj yj yj
jeepin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy has a 70's bronco. And as much as he loves it, it doesn't seem to compare to the many friends Jeep Wrangler.

I guess he big thing to think about is "Can you fabricate Everything?". If you dont like the way the suspension works on the YJ, you can buy a LONG ARM kit to install, and in some cases find bolt on kits. I have heard of someone using 4 link long arms and Leaf Springs in stead of coils.

This is where owning a jeep lends itself a long way. There is a LARGE following, and you can find most parts you would ever want or need. And if its not been done, you could find someone that would help you try it out. And great forums such as this with plenty of info.

Good Luck on your decision,
John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
broncoheaven
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im not jeep smashin its the only other thing i will drive but my eb i have a 72 and a 73 bronco and a xj that has been beatin and she likes it xj is my daily driver/family car wont send my wife out in a car that wont bring her back
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
QuantumYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want one of each. If you can find a DECENT EB for around the same price as a YJ in Idaho I might have to take a road trip up there. Around here, if it's worth restoring they're over $8,000, $10,000 and up if they've been restored even a little and if you find one for much less than that it's usually junk, only good for parts. I overpaid for my YJ as it is (everything is high here seems like) but if I could find a Early Bronco for the same price / condition I'd buy it.
Still if I had to choose only one it would be a hard choice. I like the "one of a kind" aspect of the EB, there's a YJ/TJ/JK around every corner. As far as capability the EB wins, stock, on axles etc., the YJ on engine, electrical, etc. sophistication. But who cares, you wont leave the stock motor in the EB (or you will rebuild, update) and you won't leave the D35 etc. in the YJ so I think it comes down to a simple personal choice.
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had a '66 eb and loved it. I have a '90 yj now and love it. They both have their advantages. I'd say find a 4.0L yj, hunt around for a front axle from a 2.5L (4.11 gears) and a 8.8 with 4.11 and a LSD. You can run 33's and still have a few $$ for other bits and pieces.
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a convert View Post
So we will consider the axles to be equivalant.
If the EB 9" is 28 spline no, if 31 spline yes. Most EB 9"s ive come across are 28 spline. I own 2 of them. Doesnt cost alot to upgrade though. I like the EBs. Buddy of mine has two as well. One he butchered and made into a monster on rocs and one he restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Early broncos are art. But you're talking a very old vehicle. Too much maintenance. I'm venturing to guess that Jeep parts/accessories are more plentiful and cheaper. Go Jeep.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love EBs as much as I love Jeeps. Why they changed that body style so much for the second generation is beyond me. I'm sure it had to do with platform sharing with Ford trucks.

I think it all comes down to use and budget. If your going to wheel it really hard and want to be able to repair it cheaper, I would say the Jeep will be the way to go. You'll likely spend more to get the EB up to snuff with the YJ. Just due to parts availability. That being said, both are extremely capable trail vehicles that look very good.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.