yj v8 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj v8 swap

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Bass8144
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yj v8 swap

Hello all! New to forum so hope this hasn't already been asked but here goes, I have a 1993 yj that Im going to be putting motor, tranny and transfer case in from a chevy k10 pickup. Question is, can I put the 205 transfer case in jeep? I have read about 350 motor and 700r4 tranny working but was curious if transfer case will fit jeep ok thanks

Bass8144 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Aren't chevys passenger side drop?
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Bass8144
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oh did I forget to say I have never done a swap before? lol So what is fix for that?
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Advanced adapters, Novak, or transdapt sells adapter to make chevy trans use a tcase that drops on the driver side. Or, I guess you could find an 84-86 cj7 front d30 and use that since it would be a passenger side drop but I dont know what ratios cj7s came with
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass8144 View Post
Hello all! New to forum so hope this hasn't already been asked but here goes, I have a 1993 yj that Im going to be putting motor, tranny and transfer case in from a chevy k10 pickup. Question is, can I put the 205 transfer case in jeep? I have read about 350 motor and 700r4 tranny working but was curious if transfer case will fit jeep ok thanks
NP205s and 208s are passenger side drop so your existing front axle will need to be changed. Alternatively you could source an np241 from 88ish to 98 suburban that will be drivers side drop and you could keep your front end. There's a ton of writeups on that swap all over the internet though. I'd recommend reading ALL of them that you can find twice before you touch a wrench. Then you'll have an idea of all of the problems/modifications/caveats of that particular swap. Good luck and take your time!

edit: np205 and 208s from chevys are passenger side drop
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Bass8144
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the information! So should I stick with 231 off of jeep now? I know I will need a adapter still but which would be stronger and cheaper way to go? No plans for offroading just daily driver
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the way to go to me.
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Yj350tbi
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A v-8 motor swap is a lot of work for a daily driver. I drive mine every day. I did a Tbi 350. The fuel injection makes it nice for a daily driver. You can buy adapters to keep your 231j. I've seen that done. I used a 241c cheaper and stronger but a lot of work to make it fit. Don't forget you will need a radiator for the swap. I did a lot of reading and looked at a lot of pictures before I started. Ask yourself why you want to do a v8 swap? Before you start. By far the best thing I ever did was my v8 swap. I would really hate to see someone start the swap just because they think it would be cheap or easy. I have seen many jeeps with inline 6 motors do just as well with lower gears than a lot of high horse power v 8s.
Yj350tbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.