YJ V8 Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ V8 Swap

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
brichardson

88 Yj V8 Conversion

Hi, just got done with my 88 Yj, put a 4.8 vortec in it and I love it. The swap cost 3500 out the door. used a chevy steering column, 4.8L V8,Trans and Transfer case. I got the engine harness and the underthe dash harness along with the relay center and the pcm, had the Anti-Theft taken of the pcm and she runs like a beast.

brichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyo109 View Post
I've been hoping it would increase mpg since it wouldn't have to work as hard to move my jeep...
So you think swapping the motor changes the Jeep aerodynamics (oxymoron, I know), and also reduces the rolling resistance and rotational mass of the tires? Whatever HP it takes to move your brick at 40 mph will be the same after the swap, unless maybe the new motor is 500 lbs lighter than the old one.
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Dirttracker18
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
So you think swapping the motor changes the Jeep aerodynamics (oxymoron, I know), and also reduces the rolling resistance and rotational mass of the tires? Whatever HP it takes to move your brick at 40 mph will be the same after the swap, unless maybe the new motor is 500 lbs lighter than the old one.
True but if the new engine makes twice the hp and tq it will not be working as hard to move the brick, thus yes, less gas used.

The V8 upgrade will make more power at idle than the old I6.
Dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Save your money... you're just starting out in life, and in 5 years when you graduate from college there are going to be bigger and better things to spend your money on (not counting all that tuition in the middle). A V8 in the jeep would be fun don't get me wrong (and is still on my list of things to do one day). Then wait till you find that your future job takes you to a town where you have to get emisions checked and you have to sell it anyways...

Also to the above comments about the Ls1 power vs ax15 torque handling. if you look for one of the 5.3L truck motors it should be a really good balance, the torque is in that 300-325ft-lb range and being the more popular 5.3 should keep the cost down some while still having a large aftermarket support if you want to chance it more later.

Don't forget the cost of an upgraded rear axle as well...
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
87laredo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Look into the 5.4 liter triton used in the f150's. plenty of power 260 to 310 based on the year you get. My dad had a 97 f150 xlt 4x4 with 247xxx miles on it and only had to replace the alternator. Change the oil regularly (valvoline max life) and that motor is good for at least 300xxx miles.
87laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87laredo View Post
Look into the 5.4 liter triton used in the f150's. plenty of power 260 to 310 based on the year you get. My dad had a 97 f150 xlt 4x4 with 247xxx miles on it and only had to replace the alternator. Change the oil regularly (valvoline max life) and that motor is good for at least 300xxx miles.
The ford modular motors are HUGE, with their overhead cams. I don't think the aftermarket has ever really supported them all that well, honestly they are kind of low powered for what they are (i had a 4.6L V8 in my thunderbird that was ok with 210 hp and 290 ft/lb (both #s ~)) but you will spend the same amount of money or more for that swap as a good LS based motor...
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I can't say I would recommend a Ford mod engine. To each their own. I fix a lot of Fords every week and don't have any love for that engine or the 4.6.
I love the 5.2 I put in mine. I'm getting slightly better mileage than my 4 popper did. That said, do a Chevy 5.3.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
85CJEric
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichardson View Post
Hi, just got done with my 88 Yj, put a 4.8 vortec in it and I love it. The swap cost 3500 out the door. used a chevy steering column, 4.8L V8,Trans and Transfer case. I got the engine harness and the underthe dash harness along with the relay center and the pcm, had the Anti-Theft taken of the pcm and she runs like a beast.

Could you go more in depth on this? I am frustrated beyond belief with my 4.2 and want to drop in a v8 fuel injected that will make my YJ a comfortable daily driver
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
muddigger95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I did the same swap about ten months ago. Best thing I have done to my jeep to date. Runs like a top, plenty of power, and getting 19 miles to the gal.3 miles to the gal. More than the 4 banger that was in it from the factory. If you can afford it well worth the $$$$$$.
muddigger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
myke88

If you need any help, pm me I'm in the middle of a 5.3 swap and I ordered a lot of stuff from novak. Turns out they're just reselling a lot of stuff from different companies at a MUCH higher price. You really only need to order the gmax adapter, pilot bearing, and slave cylinder from them. Also look at advance adapters, they have way cheaper prices on headers and motor mounts which is the route I took and I am very happy I did.
myke88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , engine swap , v8 , v8 swap , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.