yj v8 chevy 283 need ideas for exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj v8 chevy 283 need ideas for exhaust

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
mrjeepinguy
1996 ZJ 

yj v8 chevy 283 need ideas for exhaust

I got this yj with a 283 v8 and a chevy 4speed and i want to run dual exuhast and ive hurd of purple hornies having a kit for this so its simple and out of the way has any one tryed this and i also wanted to get the 4wd working but idk about uesing the stock vaccum system is there a better alternative?

mrjeepinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you can get the stock vacuum system to work if you dont want to buy anything else, its not hard to do. I have duals with turn downs infront of the axle. I used to like it, but now its too loud and fumes come back into the jeep sometimes. If I could do it all over again I would purchase headers that the collectors point straght down. That way I could cross over under the oil pan and run a single exhaust. That way there are no exhaust lines near the brake and fuel lines. Also its way cheaper because you only need one muffler and resonator (if you choose to have one).
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
you can get the stock vacuum system to work if you dont want to buy anything else, its not hard to do. I have duals with turn downs infront of the axle. I used to like it, but now its too loud and fumes come back into the jeep sometimes. If I could do it all over again I would purchase headers that the collectors point straght down. That way I could cross over under the oil pan and run a single exhaust. That way there are no exhaust lines near the brake and fuel lines. Also its way cheaper because you only need one muffler and resonator (if you choose to have one).
This.

I have 11.5" of lift, so clearance isn't an issue, but I'm not happy about the exhaust running right next to the fuel and brake lines. I am running dual 2 1/2 with flowmasters off of Hedman hedders. Runs well and sounds good, but i would prefer a single 3" out the back on the passenger side
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
jimbob78cj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

With that small of an engine, I'd stay away form the purple hornies. I have fenderwell headers on my 304 V8 CJ with a set of purple hornies and have no bottom end whatsoever. The headers have a 3" collector and the purple hornies that fit are way too big for that engine. Now don't get me wrong, once above about 3000 rpm it's sounds mean. Like I'm racing in a nascar race down the road. But that hasn't helped my mileage any.

-jim

"Stupid Should Hurt" - Bumper sticker seen on Jeep
jimbob78cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
mrjeepinguy
1996 ZJ 

thanks for the help im prob goin to go with a 2 1/2" with some flowmaster 44 with turn downs befor the axel im just goin to be sellin this jeep any way i just wanted to get it done right befor gettin rid of it
mrjeepinguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.