Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ U-joints go out

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  john_pettit2 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 Yj jeep wrangler with a rough country 4" lift kit and 2" body. I can't keep my u-joints to stay good for over 2 months. They keep breaking on me. Iv been doing a lot of research on here and it seems like the best thing to do it buy new perches and weld them on to make sure the pinion angle is correct. I do not have a SYE kit yet but do plan on buying one soon. The pinion does not look to be that much off anyhow. I do not think new perches will fix this problem. I will post some pictures up in a little while so you guys can tell me what you think.

#7 ·
from that picture it looks like the pinion is way too high for that type of drive shaft. Best thing to do is get the SYE on there, get rid of the T-case drop and set a good angle. You will need to either buy or make a double cardan drive shaft.

Here's the two different types and angles

Attachments

#9 ·
I just ordered 2" add a leaf today for it. After I add that I was thinking it will definitely be off but when I get the SYE kit (this summer) why would it be better to take out the transfer case drop? Wouldn't want to weld the perches in and then buy the kit and have to reweld them back on.

#15 ·
yes, lower your pinion angle.... looks like you have shims installed which are tilting it up... remove them and either leave them out or if necessary, install smaller shims

save those shims though because, at least in that camera angle, it looks like you currently have a good pinion angle if you were running SYE/CV shaft

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.