yj turn signal and brake light problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj turn signal and brake light problems

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
mannyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yj turn signal and brake light problems

i bought a used yj with low miles and no rust with a ton of extras cheap. drove it home and found that my drivers side turn signal wasnt working, so i checked lights and all were fine, heck even the hazards work. i then replaced the turn signal switch and nothing. when i tap on the tail light housing it works til i need to use it then it stops, now i got the same thing happening to the right side. any one have any clues as to what this could be?

mannyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Exercise the hazard switch. a little more. on off on off on off check them if working fixed if not repeat they have something build up on the contacts.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
ZillaKing
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The rear light's ground is the bolts holding it to the tub. Take em out and clean everything up well. Put them back in snug and see what happens.
ZillaKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Lambo3244
1993 YJ Wrangler 

REPLACE the two front amber lights in the grill! Don't just replace the one side, but do it to both. That should solve your issue. When you pull out those lights, the assembly that they twist in and out of is pretty funky so make sure that you put them in the way you took them out. Check the ground wire also for those parking lights as well, make sure that has a good metal-to-metal contact. Good luck.
Lambo3244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZillaKing View Post
The rear light's ground is the bolts holding it to the tub. Take em out and clean everything up well. Put them back in snug and see what happens.
I agree but you should put cunducive neverseive on threds before reinstall
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
mannyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys for the help i will try it all till i get it figured out and let you know what it was
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
dprg644
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZillaKing View Post
Mine did the same thing and this fixed it. Good Luck
dprg644 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
mannyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

pulled the bolts and cleaned everything up left signal works great but right one still does the same thing and wont flash. worked over the hazard switch real good and that didnt help. could it be the socket the bulds are all good from front to back
Unread 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
mannyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i think i got it figured out after i cleaned the bolts and the bolt holes on the tub and work the hazard switch and checked bulbs and sockets. i got back on here and read other posts for tjs and found that it may be the flasher for the turn signals i pulled the one for my hazards and tried it to find that it worked fine so i figured for 3 bux its worth a shot put it in and the turn signals didnt miss a blink
thanks much for the help
sorry for the repeat message i just got a lil xcited after a year of tapping the tail light housing
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
rttg
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm new to jeeps. Where is the flasher? My right turn signal is not working, just comes on solid. I've changed all of the bulbs, same thing, I've played with hazard lights (of which are working fine). I've made sure I have a good ground. I've even replaced the entire rear tail light housing... still not work. HELP!
rttg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are both lighting up front and back?? Need to know this because if the left side is working then you either have a bad ground one the on that is not working or a bad socket. For testing a ground use a jumper wire to the outside of the socket to a known good grounding point like the battery negative side.

more than likely you do not have a bad flasher. but since you asked it under the dash up by the p-brake mounting point.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
rttg
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My problem has been solved. Not exactly sure what it was but the only thing I can point to is that when I finally replaced the entire tail light housing and tested it, it didn't work... because it wasn't ground. It was cracked anyway so I did replace. After putting everything back together, my son tells me it is working. Thanks!
rttg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok On my 95 yj I cannot get the drivers Front Turn signal to blink. It will come on when the park lights are on and when the lights are on. I replaced all the bulbs on both sides and the flasher. The rear ones blink just fine. and so does the light inside. Just the front drivers turn signal will not blink or even come on when turn signal is on.

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
kelownadude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

lights and brake issue

i recently purchased an 88 yj.
i had the strange issues as othersdo on forums.. turn signal lights one fast ,one slow. step on brakes: lights would freeze.turn on head lights ;turn signals froze;step on brakes ,dash lights came on!!! wtf
well i solved it!!!
started with the rear lights check the gounding, removed the spliced wiring harness,but by fluke i desided to replace the rear bulbs with normal 1157 bulbs and what do you know everything works again!!!
hope this may help someone else
kelownadude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brake lights , turn signal , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.