YJ with truck shocks for a 4in lift - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ with truck shocks for a 4in lift

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboowv77 View Post
Great info! The only problem I see is when you flex it being all the shocks have 2 inch less compressed length it would limit your up travel when on uneven ground. Might not be that big of deal but just a thought. Do you have any pics of it flexing to see how it sucks up the down tire?
absolutely no problems flexing with the bastard pack and shocks. I did this just for you today. the edge is over 1 and a half foot right were its at and I could have gone even further but i was by myself and didn't want to tip. (im not very experienced with flexing.

100_2028-800x600-.jpg   100_2030-800x600-.jpg   100_2031-800x600-.jpg  
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Be careful on the rear shocks and make sure that the auto parts store gives you the ones with 2 eyelets and NOT the ones with the stud and one eyelet, or better off just ask for the ones for a 91 grand wagoner (same shock)

I have been fighting with the idiots at the auto parts for about a week now first off they had to special order them, and they where the ones with the studs. Then they reordered and I got 2 different shocks with the same part number on the boxes but the compression rate is different on them. Now I have to run to the next town tomorrow to get Hopefully the correct ones and finally get them installed.

The fronts do feel much better though. I would defiantly recommend extended brake lines, because mine where tight with the factory shocks and with the longer shocks I got 3 inches more drop in the front when flexing so the factory would have pulled or snapped.
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
absolutely no problems flexing with the bastard pack and shocks. I did this just for you today. the edge is over 2 foot right were its at and I could have gone even further but i was by myself and didn't want to tip. (im not very experienced with flexing.
Looks good Thanks
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboowv77 View Post
Be careful on the rear shocks and make sure that the auto parts store gives you the ones with 2 eyelets and NOT the ones with the stud and one eyelet, or better off just ask for the ones for a 91 grand wagoner (same shock)

I have been fighting with the idiots at the auto parts for about a week now first off they had to special order them, and they where the ones with the studs. Then they reordered and I got 2 different shocks with the same part number on the boxes but the compression rate is different on them. Now I have to run to the next town tomorrow to get Hopefully the correct ones and finally get them installed.

The fronts do feel much better though. I would defiantly recommend extended brake lines, because mine where tight with the factory shocks and with the longer shocks I got 3 inches more drop in the front when flexing so the factory would have pulled or snapped.
For the brake lines i just relocated them to the bottom of the frame, was super easy and gave me a ton on brake line to work with. Also didnt cost me a thing!
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
koesdibyo

For those fronts (rears out of a f150), does it matter if its a 4WD or 2WD vehicle? Im trying to find a spreadsheet to tell me f150 shock sizes, but cant come up with anything (not the greatest researcher either :P).

Anyone know if what years the f150 rear shocks would work (having a tough time tracking down a specifically 1997)
koesdibyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koesdibyo View Post
For those fronts (rears out of a f150), does it matter if its a 4WD or 2WD vehicle? Im trying to find a spreadsheet to tell me f150 shock sizes, but cant come up with anything (not the greatest researcher either :P).

Anyone know if what years the f150 rear shocks would work (having a tough time tracking down a specifically 1997)
it has to be 97 and 4wd i just went to autozone
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

so i guess the weight of the pick up doesn't matter on the shocks? i thought shocks were made having to do something with the weight of a vehicle too?

i am asking because i really don;t know, not trying to put down this because i have always thought of doing this but was not sure since the weight differences
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #23
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

there might be a little variation between shocks but i haven't been able to notice anything what so ever. All a shock does is prevent the vehicle from bouncing up or down uncontrollably. the shock does not lift a vehicle.
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #24
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I understand but I thought heavier vehicles required higher pressures I the tube?

Either way, it appears to work fine. It didn't make the ride more harsh?
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #25
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
I understand but I thought heavier vehicles required higher pressures I the tube?

Either way, it appears to work fine. It didn't make the ride more harsh?
they probably do have more pressure then other shocks but I haven't noticed it. I went straight from stock gabrials to these gabrials and didn't feel any difference. Plus i dont think its possible to make the ride anymore harsh

If your going to do this i wouldnt be worried because if you were to buy rough country or rancho shock it would be stiffer then any gabrial shock and they flex great!
flexing-tubes-5.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
Ksyrium
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did this last week, I also got about 2" of Lift.
I went to a pick-n-pull, and got the leaf springs out of a '99 blazer - which had 4 leafs on it, so I didn't have to cut any. And I still have the main leafs if I want to make any changes, I just have to cut them to the length I want.

I'm planning on getting the rear shocks this week. I think the base Grabiel shocks will be an upgrade from the 25 year old stock shocks that are on it....
Thanks for the info!
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #27
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
I did this last week, I also got about 2" of Lift.
I went to a pick-n-pull, and got the leaf springs out of a '99 blazer - which had 4 leafs on it, so I didn't have to cut any. And I still have the main leafs if I want to make any changes, I just have to cut them to the length I want.

I'm planning on getting the rear shocks this week. I think the base Grabiel shocks will be an upgrade from the 25 year old stock shocks that are on it....
Thanks for the info!
no problem
Unread 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I guess its about time I do a little update. That shocks are still doing great. I recently bout a pair of 3.5 inch fabtech leaf springs, which with my shackles I netted about 5" of lift in my rear. The shock are still good for it but are limiting me a little at max flex, so Pretty soon here I will be doing another search and see If I can find shocks good for a 6 inch lift. here is the latest flex results with the fabtechs.

furthest up the ramp ive gotten so far. I could have gone further if the shocks weren't limiting me, my back drivers tire started to lift off the ground. I could use some bump stops too. Still well worth the price and the research.

Unread 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Updated with part numbers.
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Updated with part numbers.
Thanks for the write up.... I have a leaking shock in mine with a 4" lift I think, thats the way I bought it anyway so I will likely pull one off and measure it to be sure.

The part numbers from the original post are correct for the 4" lift right??

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.