YJ transmission problems. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ transmission problems.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Yjflexxer

YJ transmission problems.

New to this forum, Ive searched quite a bit before making this post and I'm fairly certain my problem is a failing master or slave cylinder.

First off its a 95 Jeep YJ with the original (I presume) ax-15 tranny with about 160k on the clock. Anyways, about Monday I started noticing it was getting kinda difficult to get into second gear while downshifting. Not grinding, just wouldn't go into gear without really muscling it in. By Thursday first and second gear were extremely hard to get into while shifting up or down. Friday on the way to work it was doing it in every gear for the most part and popping out of lower gears while up shifting as if the clutch wasn't engaging completely and ended with the tranny getting stuck in 4th while downshifting. The shifter seemed to be in the neutral position. It came out of gear once we started pulling it up on the tow truck.

Today I changed the tranny fluid and it was pretty dark with some brass shavings (third gear synchros were out already and would grind slightly until about a week ago when it would pretty much just not go in without muscling it in as well as other gears). I also inspected the firewall inside and out around the clutch master cylinder and didn't see anything worth mentioning. I visually inspected the slave and didn't see anything unusual. I'll pull it off and make sure its working correctly when i get another day to work on it. I inspected the shifter linkages as best i could and didn't see anything bent or disconnected. I also started the truck and put it in fist gear with the clutch peddle on the floor, gave it some throttle and got no movement in first or reverse. Clutch is relatively new according to the previous owner and feels fine and makes no unusual noises.

Im just wanting some input on ideas, as I said I think the problem is a failing master or slave cylinder, either that or synchro or a clutch/bearing problem, but I have a hard time believing I lost all the synchros in under a week. I've seen master cylinders leak internally and hold no pressure, Im hoping that could be my problem.

Yjflexxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go to Rock Auto and order both with the line pre- bled and install. They are both old and need to be replaced. 30-45 minute job and your done.

If you replace one and not the other more likely the problem will come back

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Yjflexxer

Thanks for the imput, that was the first thing i was going to do.
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you did your homework. Congrats!
I agree with jokerchief462. I suspect you master is leaking internally.
Hopefully your synchros are still good enough.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Yjflexxer

Thanks, I try to be as thorough about things before I go making post on forums. I just ordered the DORMAN pre bled kit. Seems they make good parts.
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Yjflexxer

Update on this. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder with a pre bled kit off rock auto and it seemed to fix my problem. I do still get some "bumping" for lack of a better word type of feedback occasionally when trying to shift up and it still has a hard time downshifting into third. It doesnt grind anymore, it just wont go sometimes. Im thinking this transmission may be on its way out and its just the wear and tare its had over the years at this point. In the meantime ill watch the fluids and try to prolong its life as long as possible. Ive read the recommended trans fluid isn't good on the synchros and people are running 5w30 motor oil. Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps i should run that or some mt-90, currently i just have the recommended stuff.
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjflexxer
Update on this. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder with a pre bled kit off rock auto and it seemed to fix my problem. I do still get some "bumping" for lack of a better word type of feedback occasionally when trying to shift up and it still has a hard time downshifting into third. It doesnt grind anymore, it just wont go sometimes. Im thinking this transmission may be on its way out and its just the wear and tare its had over the years at this point. In the meantime ill watch the fluids and try to prolong its life as long as possible. Ive read the recommended trans fluid isn't good on the synchros and people are running 5w30 motor oil. Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps i should run that or some mt-90, currently i just have the recommended stuff.
10w30
That's what I use and many others.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjflexxer View Post
If you contact Chrysler, you'll find out that the 5w30 motor oil that people are recommending is what Chrysler/Jeep recommends now as well.

Time to go buy some oil.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...np231-1456939/
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.