YJ Transmission issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Transmission issue

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
AZDeez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Transmission issue

I probably need to do some more research on other sites but I always end up here for the good answers. So the stock YJ is not wanting to downshift nicely nor shift into 5th. The rest of the gears on upshift seem fine. Occasionally it is dificult to get into first after coming to a no clutch engaged stop. I have to give it a little clutch and then it will drop into first for me.
Soooo, I am thinking some sort of synchronization problem.
Ready go and thanks in advance.

Unread 07-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Heres a tip... Use the clutch to disengage and reengage gears.... that may be why you having issues now.
But it sounds like the main bearings are goiong out and syncros.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have as feeling you worded some of that wrong. If you have to rev it to get it to shift, I would be checking the clutch fluid first...
The wrong type of gear oil in it can also mess up the syncros. My T-5 went bad like that from GL5 gear oil. I switched to GL4 or synchromesh gear oil and all was good again.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Heres a tip... Use the clutch to disengage and reengage gears.... that may be why you having issues now.
But it sounds like the main bearings are goiong out and syncros.
I don't think he's floating the gears. Sounds like he's having some other kind of issue.
Unread 07-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
AZDeez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I'm thinking my first step is to flush the trans fluid and inspect for shavings of course. Next is the trans shop for advice. I'm a shade tree hack of a mechanic so do I have any business dropping and possibly rebuilding?
Unread 07-13-2015, 02:55 AM   #6
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It definitely sounds like syncros are going out. If it were my Jeep, I'd just rebuild it.

My transmission went out a couple months ago, the PO claimed it was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago. The lie detector test (mechanic) determined, that was a lie! And, since it isn't cold here it definitely won't be the shifter boot being the problem.

Before my transmission took a dump, the syncros were getting kind of funky, then the front input seal blew and leaked all the oil out right as a I got into Buckeye.

Then there's the possibility of something giving up in the clutch assembly.
Unread 07-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #7
AZDeez
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So Sundevil, any recommendations for a trans shop? I'm not confident I'm ready to dig into my own rebuild.
Unread 07-13-2015, 03:06 AM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The guy who rebuilt my transmission is over in Buckeye, cool guy. All said and done with installation of a new clutch assembly with master cylinder ran me a little over $1000. I bought a LUK Pro Gold kit off rockauto.com and had him install it along with the rebuild.

Bison Automotive Repair.
2201 N 201st Ave
Buckeye, AZ 85396
(602) 570-1452
Matt.

He's also a Mopar guy, and apparently isn't a stranger to Jeeps. So there's a bit of relief.

EDIT: Also, if you have the tools and that price (which is the average price from what I found out after calling around) doesn't sit well with you, the AX15 is actually pretty easy to rebuild. I've rebuilt a couple of them, and I would have done it again but all my tools are back in CA. There's a lot of good write ups on here, and some good videos on youtube that take you through it step by step. That's how I learned.

Tags
downshift , synchronizers , trans , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.