YJ transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ transmission

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
mule-brothers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

YJ transmission

I have a friend who has a 1992 Jeep 4cycl 5 spd, 4x4. I think it has around 175,0000 miles on it. The transmission has been rebuilt once. The jeep has never been used off road, was a daily driver. Last Spring they parked it. Basically it sat for all most a year. A few weeks ago they went out to move it. It started up find put it in gear, it wouldn’t move. So the dad decides help it along a he tried to pull it forward a little to get it to move…… The whole transmission just dropped it’s lying on the ground. My question is, 1 - why wouldn’t the jeep move, 2- why would the transmission let go and fall out. . Everything was working before they parked it. Do you think it’s a fairly easy fix, I realize that’s a hard call not actually seeing the jeep. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dee

mule-brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the skid plate bolts rotted out of the frame or rather the frame rotted around the bolts. Anyway the Jeep may not have moved it the transfercase was in neutral or the clutch took a dump.
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like there was some serious rust problems if it just dropped with the skid plate and the engine.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
rustyjeepguy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can you show us some pictures then we could tell you
rustyjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, pictures or it didn't happen.I have to this. The transmission fell tot he ground? Its bolted to the engine block! Plus there is a big *** skid plate under it.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-brothers View Post
My question is, 1 - why wouldnít the jeep move.
Seized brake(s)
Ebrake not released
If it's an auto - low/no fluid
If manual tranny - clutch mechanizm bad
Drive shaft missing/stolen
Chipped gear(s)
Wrong shift position

Quote:
2- why would the transmission let go and fall out.
Extremely poor maintenance and attention to vehicle detail
Rusted thru due to extremely poor maintenance

Quote:
Do you think itís a fairly easy fix.

With what appears to be a major lack of maintenance - doubtfull.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
2uraven
1990 YJ Wrangler 

some one was currently doing a stealth removal (STEALING) and hadnt quite got the job done when you decided to play with the thing!
2uraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
MDonovan8
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My vote is for the stealth removal while it was parked.
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uraven View Post
some one was currently doing a stealth removal (STEALING) and hadnt quite got the job done when you decided to play with the thing!
That's what I was thinking. No amount of rust is going to allow that to happen. The only way it happens is if someone removes not only the bolts that attach it to the engine but also the skid plate bolts.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
mule-brothers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I talked to my friends today. They said the skid plate was taken off and never put back on…She also said the jeep was in 4high which she couldn’t get out of gear. I’m like you; I can’t picture it in my mind. And I don’t understand why it would just fall off either. I asked them to send me some pictures, next weekend I’m going over to see for my self. I just don’t get it (I live an hour away) If the transmission did in fact pull apart I would think the bolts would be still connected or broken or striped.. It would be hard for someone to try to steal anything the jeep sits behind the house only one way in and one way out.

Anyway thanks for all the ideas,
mule-brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I talked to my friends today. They said the skid plate was taken off and never put back onÖShe also said the jeep was in 4high which she couldnít get out of gear. Iím like you; I canít picture it in my mind. And I donít understand why it would just fall off either. I asked them to send me some pictures, next weekend Iím going over to see for my self. I just donít get it (I live an hour away) If the transmission did in fact pull apart I would think the bolts would be still connected or broken or striped.. It would be hard for someone to try to steal anything the jeep sits behind the house only one way in and one way out.

Anyway thanks for all the ideas,

A derp derp, darp derp herp derp.

The skid plate is pretty much the transmission mount.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.