YJ trans help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ trans help needed

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
kinson137

YJ trans help needed

I have a 95 YJ thats manual trans was falling apart, and I didnt have the money to fix, so I pulled an automatic out of the scrap yard to install. The manual held togather for a year but finaley quite. after trying to install the auto a few things went wrong: it was an 1" shorter in overall length and the transfer case bolts on but does not seal with the output shaft. Now I have this trans bolted up the the engine but I have no idea what trans it is, there are no plates or stampings. any way I can identify it so I can find a transfer case that DOES work with it?

kinson137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

You really need to give us more info on what you got the trans out of. Explain why the transfer case is not sealing? Does it seem like the shaft is too long and holding the cases apart?
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
kinson137

I thought I got it out of a YJ, I was under the impression that only YJs had the square headlights and the PRND selecter was on the colum (not the floor) but to be honest that's all I know about the jeep I pulled the trans out of. As far as it not sealing: the manual trans was recessed about an 1 1/4" and the transfer case stuck out the same amout. So they fit togather nicely. The new trans is recessed deeper around 2 1/2", so the transfer case goes in far enough (and bolts to trans) to make contact with the output shaft but not far enough to seal inside the trans (transfer case does not make is to output shaft seal) fluid is pouring right past output shat seal
kinson137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures are needed and someone out here will help you identify the trans. Then you can work a solution.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
yj4trails
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You prob have the 999 and when you switched from the 5speed your input shaft if the transfer case is to short. Get seal extension from Teraflex. Search forum. A few have gone to the auto. Good info in there.

Tags
help needed , trans , transmission , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.