YJ tranny problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ tranny problem

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Yellow1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ tranny problem

Hello, Im in need of a bit of help.
During a recent road trip, I noticed a high whine and a smell similar to burnt popcorn coming from my tranny. Its an ax5, and there is a leak. I took it to a shop to see if I could continue my trip home, and was told the trans gears are shot and I need a new tranny (but I would be able to go the last 150 miles). The only thing I noticed when I got home, aside from the smell and sound, is the difficulty in getting into reverse. The oil levels are extremely low, burnt, and black, and I feel that perhaps the tranny just needs oil and the shop just wanted to make a quick buck. I know its a long shot that anyone has an answer with such a vague description, but is it common for performance issues/ high pitch whines, when the oil levels are low? Im having a hard time finding this topic on the forum.
Thanks

Yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it is going to make some noise if the fluids are low. Drain out the tranny and run some 10w30 through it for a little bit. I'd say 100km or so. Then empty her out again and FIX the leak. And put in new oil. If it is better, then great.

I would swap for an ax15. But if cash flow is an issue then hope to hell the ax5 is going to hold up. The guy you want to chime in is max. He knows a thing or two about jeep trannys.
I think you will notice a difference with fresh fluid in there.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Yellow1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you, I'll do that tomorrow and see if there is an improvement.
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

whats it going to hurt to try it... if it doesnt work then you need a new trans... if it works you dont.. kinda a no brainer there... use 10w30 motor oil in it.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

All sound advice so far.

If you ran low on transmission oil, you probably smoked the bearings. The excessive heat wouldn't have very kind to the gears either.

Where are you located?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I melted 2nd and 3rd in my ax5 a few weeks ago. If your gears are fine you can get rebuild kits for $100 at Autozone. I would be willing to bet at a minimum your bearings are toasted.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Yellow1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
All sound advice so far.

If you ran low on transmission oil, you probably smoked the bearings. The excessive heat wouldn't have very kind to the gears either.

Where are you located?

Max
I am in San Jose.
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Yellow1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I drained the gear oil- half a quart in the tranny. Im seriously confused as to how the shop failed to inform me of this. The pilot bearing seems to be shot, but the sound went away when I filled the tranny with 10w30. It runs a lot better, but getting into reverse was almost impossible. Had to floor the gas to get it to move.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.