YJ tranny noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ tranny noise

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-27-2001, 04:43 PM   #1
csjeep

YJ tranny noise

I just got an 89 4.2 with the Peugeot five speed (131K miles). It has a whine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. 4th is quiet. Is this a bearing going on the cluster gear shaft?

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:25 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

well I was lucky and got the auto in my 87 but I heard bad thing about your tranny.They are prone to fail.Could be a number of things synchronizers going bad, bearings going.You could drain the fluid and see whats in it like metal or maybe no fluid.Thats about all the help i can offer but its mostlikly up for rebuild.But from what I have heard you are better off upgrading the tranny.Someone else will be able to tell what you need.
Unread 12-28-2001, 07:04 AM   #3
Gper4life

I had a pugeuot in one of my jeeps and it started to whine really bad. Then I was pulling out of the driveway one day and it wouldn't come out of first gear. Locked tighter than a wedge. So I opted to change it to an AX-15. I called jw jeeps in california and they sent me the change over kit for about 2grand. Good luck.
89 YJ upgraded with 95 Chevy LT1 small block, NV4500 5spd, tera low 231 SYE, Custom built crossmembers and skids, 2003 Corvette Electron Blue paint, 3 inch custom spring lift with 2 inch shackles, 2 inch body lift, locked 8.8 with discs, 4:10's and 35's, spray lined tub, and a few other unmentionables
Gper4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.