Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

YJ towing ability

979 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  RideRed04 
#1 ·
Ok. I have been thinking of getting a 4.0L manual YJ for quite some time now. One problem being is its towing ability. i have a 3000 lb race car, a 750 LB trailer and probably another 250-300 lbs of tools and spare parts. My question is do you think a YJ could pull it and if so how long would parts last, ie. clutch, axles, diff. etc.

#4 ·
So you're looking at towing about 4,000 lbs? In my honest opinion, I would not even think about towing that much.

1. I wouldn't doubt the engine could move that much weight, but slowing it down would be a real handful.

2. The clutch will not last too long when it has to get nearly 4 tons of mass moving.

3. The Wrangler is rated to tow a maximum of 2,000 lbsa when properly equipped.

4. The Dana 35 rear axle is weak enough just moving the Wrangler, let alone 4,000 more lbs.

5. Short wheelbase vehicles are not the most stable when towing at highway speeds. If the trailer starts swaying, just hold on and wait for the rollover to happen.

6. I have seen one picture of a TJ Wrangler towing a car on a trailer and the jeep was hanging off a bridge with the trailer keeping it from falling off because the Jeep couldn't stop to make a corner.

#5 ·
The main problem is stopping. The Wrangler just won't do it. I've pulled some pretty good loads with a YJ and a TJ. It's NOT something I do often and I sure don't look forward to it.

With that size load, I wouldn't even think about it other than maybe moving it around the yard. No way on the hiway.

One more thing, if you have to stop on an uphill..... you probably will not get started without frying the clutch.

#6 ·
ok i have no ID how mutch a Lbr is (metric guy here...) but you pull a 3000 Kg trailer with my 2.5 without problems. my jeep is rated at belgian higway inspection at 2950Kg towing weigth for a trailer with pushbrake, and 750Kg without a trailor brake. the trailer i pull has a brake, offcourse.
the only problem i have is that 1st gear it to big because of the bigger tires.

#7 ·
MugZy_YJ_94 said:
ok i have no ID how mutch a Lbr is (metric guy here...) but you pull a 3000 Kg trailer with my 2.5 without problems. my jeep is rated at belgian higway inspection at 2950Kg towing weigth for a trailer with pushbrake, and 750Kg without a trailor brake. the trailer i pull has a brake, offcourse.
the only problem i have is that 1st gear it to big because of the bigger tires.
I thought I saw 2500lbs in my owner's manual? (2.5 1990 wrangler)

#8 ·
Wrangler's are reated at 2,000lbs towing capacity with either the 16 or 14 unless you have the 2.5L automatic, which is only rated at 1,000lbs.

I wouldn't tow any more then 2,000lbs.

This is what 2,000lbs looks like! :D

unfortunately, it's all going bye bye for me! :(

#9 ·
I once towed a suburban with my YJ, but it wasn't too much fun. The suburban did the stopping for both of us (flat towing with a rope to get to the service station a mile away). Up hill at 35mph took 2nd gear. The jeeps have the torque to do it, just not the breaks. With a trailer (pulled a 14 footer), the trailer owns the jeep, so you better know what you are doing. One thing I will give the jeep is that there is no better vehicle in my opinion for backing a trailer. It just feels natural. Short wheelbase and a tight turning radius makes for a backing machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.