YJ Torque Specifications - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > YJ Torque Specifications

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI Brandon YJ,
This is terrific stuff. Thanks for going to the trouble. You must be going blind with eye strain. I know most of this stuff is in the FSM but its all spread out and sometimes hard to find.

You can be sure I will save this in a Word document. Starting now!!

Sparky

Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #32
LoneWolfUSMC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_YJ View Post
Shock Absorber Nuts (Rear) - 125 ft-lbs
I believe this is incorrect.

Besides being a huge amount of torque for a sheet metal bracket, the Haynes Manual I have says 44 ft/lbs. I don't have a FSM to cross-reference though. The Haynes DOES say that 125 ft/lbs. is correct for the track bar nuts.

Please let me know if I am wrong because 44 ft/lbs is what I set mine at tonight when I installed my Skyjacker Shocks.
LoneWolfUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #33
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can't find on here what I'd use for the bolts for the ends of the rear drive shaft. I gotta replace both pinion seals on the transfer case and rear diff. But I don't know what any of that would be.

The 3 bolts that connect the back part of the transfer case to the drive shaft and the yolk connections (?), I don't know the name for it exactly.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #34
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
I can't find on here what I'd use for the bolts for the ends of the rear drive shaft. I gotta replace both pinion seals on the transfer case and rear diff. But I don't know what any of that would be.

The 3 bolts that connect the back part of the transfer case to the drive shaft and the yolk connections (?), I don't know the name for it exactly.
Driveshaft U-Join Strap Bolts - 14 ft-lbs
Front Differential Pinion shaft Nut - 210 ft/lbs (Same as rear)

as for the case, you are talking about the rear housing tail cone correct??? That is just tighten to snug in my book.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #35
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Driveshaft U-Join Strap Bolts - 14 ft-lbs
Front Differential Pinion shaft Nut - 210 ft/lbs (Same as rear)

as for the case, you are talking about the rear housing tail cone correct??? That is just tighten to snug in my book.
Thanks. Sometimes I just don't know these super technical names.

I gotta do this all next week before I go drive 250 miles to go on tour of the Jeep factory. I'd like to not loose my ability to drive.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #36
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cooling, Heating, and AC
4.2L & 4.0L Engines
Fan Clutch-To-Water Pump Bolts - 18 ft-lbs
Fan-To-Fan Clutch Nuts - 18 ft-lbs
As the nuts and studs are between the fan clutch and pulley, how do you set the torque? I can't fit a ratchet or torque wrench in that space!
Also, what are the torque settings for the power steering pump mount bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #37
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've got another quick one, please. Motor mounts to frame and motor mount through bolts. Working on my MML and there's nothing in the Haynes except "tighten them securely"
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #38
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mitchness,

Since you're looking for a quick reply AND rather than hold up your progress - here is a chart to use when you need a torque value that isn't in your manual:

Bolt Torque Chart | Portland Bolt

Be aware of the size and GRADE of your bolts, as you scroll down there are a number of charts for the various bolt sizes and grades. When I use never-sieze, motor oil or a thread locker material on the threads, I would reduce the stated torque values by 5 to 10%.

For example, if the chart calls for a torque of 48 ft lbs, I'd subtract 8% of 48 (48 x 0.08 = 3.8; which I'd round up to 4) which is 4, so I'd torque the fastener to 44ft lbs. Good Luck!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #39
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Quad View Post
Mitchness,

Since you're looking for a quick reply AND rather than hold up your progress - here is a chart to use when you need a torque value that isn't in your manual:

Bolt Torque Chart | Portland Bolt

Be aware of the size and GRADE of your bolts, as you scroll down there are a number of charts for the various bolt sizes and grades. When I use never-sieze, motor oil or a thread locker material on the threads, I would reduce the stated torque values by 5 to 10%.

For example, if the chart calls for a torque of 48 ft lbs, I'd subtract 8% of 48 (48 x 0.08 = 3.8; which I'd round up to 4) which is 4, so I'd torque the fastener to 44ft lbs. Good Luck!

J-Quad
Cool! That's actually really helpful. I'm gonna bookmark that site. Thank you very much.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #40
Not-Bob
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Caliper mounting bolts

I see on this forum that the torque for the calper bolts are 25-35 for 1987-1989 & 1990 up are 132. I have a 1990 YJ & have broke 2 bolts trying to torque over 75. They are the original 13mm 12pt. bolts, but how do I know if they are the ones that are supposed to be torqued to 132 ft. lbs.?
Unread 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
MadeInDetroit
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Can somebody please post the torque specs for the power steering bracket. These are not found in the Haynes manual anywhere. All bolts and a diagram would be helpful. I can't believe nobody has posted this since the exhaust manifold change is so common.
MadeInDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:29 AM   #42
mikey89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

what is the sequence for the main bearing bolts? can you post a pic? i dont have cash or my manual handy.
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #43
wallydude
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cooling, Heating, and AC
2.5L Engine

Fuel And Exhaust
Fuel Pump (Mechanical) Mounting Bolts - 13-19 ft-lbs
Carburetor-To-Intake Manifold Mounting Nuts - 13-19 ft-lbs
Throttle Body (TBI) Mounting Nuts - 16 ft-lbs
Throttle Body (MPI) Mounting Nuts - 108 in-lbs
Maybe fuel pump module assembly for 20 gallon tank torque specs (18 inch pounds) can be added. If this is already listed somewhere, then I apologize for my oversight.
wallydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #44
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ball joint torque

Every where i look i find a different response. I torqued mine to 100 ft/lbs as that what my Haynes manual stated, but my cotterpin doesnt quite catch the castle nut. Wonder if my haynes manual has screwed me...again,lol.

1987 JEEP YJ LAREDO
4.2L,MC2100,TFI,NUTTERED
NP231,AX15,D30,D35
9,500LB WINCH,60"HI-LIFT
BigDeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #45
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BigDeaner,
100 ft/#s is WAY tighter than it needs to be for YJ ball joints.

I just snug them up and then continue to tighten the nut (~20*) to the next castle nut slot.
Think about it -- why would they be outfitted with castle nuts if they were to be tightened THAT tight?

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.