yj to tj windshield channel conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > yj to tj windshield channel conversion

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yj to tj windshield channel conversion

hey im wanting to convert my yj to a tj windshield channel. I'm wondering if anyone would be so kind as to measure their windshield width as well as the length between the windshield and the crossbar behind the seats? is there any reason that i may not be able to accomplish this? I'm ok with making some modifications to my windshield as well as the channel to get this to work. the goal here is to seal up the old holes in the windshield and prevent making new ones when installing a bikini top on my yj. also I'm hoping this will allow me to have more options in the future to install different kinds (better looking) soft tops. also if there is anyone in Utah with a soft top willing to let me take measurements off their tj that would be awesome. thanks

Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need more than the TJ header to use a TJ top on your YJ. Im most of the way through a YJ to TJ top conversion right now. My 90 had a sport bar, so I am also converting to a family style bar (the TJ standard roll bar) AND using a frameless Bestop Trektop NX- which seems to have added even more complications.

One big obstacle you will find is adapting the TJ door surrounds, because YJ spreader bars are not the same distance apart that TJ bars are. The door surrounds are a big part of my reason to swap to a TJ top, and are required to use every TJ top I have seen.

Check my thread, and you can see what Ive been doing for the swap so far.
medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Springer45
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome thanks man. That's the info I needed
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Difficulty of swap really depends on skill level. I'm running an LJ top and till bar in my stretched yj. I thought it was very straight forward install.
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
XJChuekin

I just finished installing some door surrounds on my 90 yj with a tj cage, was pretty simple. Had to do some slight modifications but wasn't bad, I use a tj safari bikini with yj header bracket.
XJChuekin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.